Socket Load

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I would like to know what is the max load of a double socket?

will be throwing a new year party out garden in gazebo, with 2x2kw patio heaters

would a double socket take such load? or should i put one heater on one socket and one on another? power running from my shed with proper consumer unit installed, with 2.5mm cable going to the sockets

any advice will be greatly appreciated

kind regards

Lee

Sponsored Links
MK specify 13A per socket outlet on a double socket. (i.e. 3kW per outlet).
Other brands may be less than this.

It depends on the make of socket. Some are only qualified to deliver 13amp in total.
Better makes (eg MK) provide 13amp per socket way. See
here

2KW heaters will require a constant 8.7amp per heater so you will need to examine if the shed's circuit (and its feed from the house) is able to deliver 20amp. I am assuming that as well as the heaters there will be lights, disco etc etc....

hi thanks for the replies, yes shed electric is wired up direct to house consumer unit. cable from shed to house is 10mm amoured, yes will be lighting etc if means be to be safe ill run extension from house also, just unsure if 2 heaters will be safe lol

EDIT both sockets are MK not sure of any model numbers etc

Sponsored Links
would a double socket take such load?
Q: More to the point will 4kW be enough to warm the outside in the middle of the night given the likely temperatures forecast for the next few weeks?

A: Quite possibly nowhere near enough. If you really are in denial of the fact that it's the middle of winter, dark, and we are on the same latitude as Hudson's Bay and insist on wanting to be outdoors and warm you should hire a gas heater.

Or build a b****y great bonfire.

the bonfire is actually a good idea..

I see a niche market....

gazebo hire with chimeneas or fire pit + chimney in the middle... :)

yes the heaters will be adequate my question wernt about if they were or not its about the load! we also got gas heater too but unsafe to put under gazebo lol would melt it! would i need a 20a rcd for unit in shed or would 16 be ok for 4kw? thanks in advance peeps

All of the sockets in the shed should already be RCD protected!

Either in the consumer unit in the shed or from the house fuseboard. Please confirm this is the case.

It takes 5-6 hours for two 2kw heaters to take the chill off our conseratory in winter . . . . . .

You want to do this outside . . . . .

You will need a lot more than 4kw.

Are you inviting the neighbours or are you just going to keep them awake?

Give some thought as to what will happen if the power fails ( trips the MCB or the RCB ) and there is sudden darkness and confusion. High risk of accidents when that happens.

I would scrap the electric idea, 4KW is not going to do much this weather in a gazebo, instead hire or buy an Andrews heater, thats a gas fired fan heater, the little ones start at about £60 it will raise the temperature pretty quick, then turn off and re-fire when it cools, there should be adequate air leaks in a gazebo that you won't all get gassed.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back