Socket Wiring behind skirting boards

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to add a ring main for sockets on my ground floor which is concrete.

By far the easiest route is to place the wiring behind the skirting as this has been removed.

Are there any regulations preventing me from doing this? Do I need some form of conduit? Is there any other reason I should not do it?

Sponsored Links
there is no permitted zone at the bottom of a wall

this means that any concealed cables in that area must satisfy *one* of the following

1: more than 50mm deep
2: mechanically protected from damage
3: surrounded by earthed metal

the first one of thesse is impractical in almost all cases

some sparkys think that skirting covers the second one of theese others don't
and personally i wouldn't risk it

this just leaves the third option

this can be satisfied either by using earthed metal conduit or by using a cable type with an earthed layer built in for example MICC or SWA

SWA is likely to be far to bulky for this kind of JOB
conduit is also thick (though not as thick as SWA) which would mean a lot of chaseing under the skirting

MICC is thin and provided it is properly terminated will last practically forever (far longer than pvc cables) but you MUST get the right termination tools and get someone to show you how to terminate it properly
MICC is also fairly pricey

plugwash said:
some sparkys think that skirting covers the second one [mechanically protected from damage] of theese others don't
and personally i wouldn't risk it

There is no argument; it's a straightforward infringment.

For cable soncealed in a wall or partition at a depth of less than 50mm, reg 522-06-06 (iii) states, "...be mechanically protected sufficient to prevent penetration of the cable by nails, screws and the like..." Don't even think about it.

for those who do not know MICC (pyro) is a solid copper cable
378.jpg

but i agree to run twin and earth behind a skirting board is asking for trouble.

Sponsored Links
See http://www.niceic.org.uk/downloads/C5-43.pdf

From which (with my emphasis)

Regulation 522-06-06 (as revised by Amendment No 2 to BS 7671: 2001) requires that where a cable is concealed in a wall or partition at a depth of less than 50 mm from any surface of the wall or partition, the cable must:
be installed in a zone:
(a) within 150 mm from the top of the wall or partition, or
(b) within 150 mm of an angle formed by two adjoining walls or partitions, or
(c) either horizontally or vertically, to the point, accessory or switchgear on the surface of the wall or partition, to which the cable is connected

cablezones.jpg

So if you put the sockets on the skirting board, it should be OK, no?

i thought putting sockets on the skirting was frowned upon

but yes if you have all your sockets at the same level you are allowed to chase horizontally between them though many sparkys dislike doing this because they feel people won't be expecting cables there

ban-all-sheds said:
So if you put the sockets on the skirting board, it should be OK, no?

Oh well, if you're gonna ride roughshod over regulation 553-01-06...

"A socket-outlet on a wall or similar structure shall be mounted at a height above the floor or any working surface to minimize the risk of mechanical damage to the socket-outlet or to an associated plug and its flexible cord which might be caused during insertion, use or withdrawal of the plug."

And that's before we get onto all that "between 450mm and 1200mm" nonsense!

:D

salem2000 said:
Would something like this help:

Click Here

It's not cheep, but as its only one room it might not be too bad.

Looks great! Just so long as you remember to install the cubicles, floor sockets and coffee machines for the workers!

Guys,

Thanks very much for all your help, I think I will just drop down vertically from the ceiling.

dingbat said:
Oh well, if you're gonna ride roughshod over regulation 553-01-06...

"A socket-outlet on a wall or similar structure shall be mounted at a height above the floor or any working surface to minimize the risk of mechanical damage to the socket-outlet or to an associated plug and its flexible cord which might be caused during insertion, use or withdrawal of the plug."
Interesting word, "minimize". Open to all sorts of interpretations..

And that's before we get onto all that "between 450mm and 1200mm" nonsense!
Yeah, well, there is that....

Perhaps a slight dig at the aesthetics of the product in a home environment........ mmmmmmmmm PVC! ;)

Posibly, however you can get the stuff with standard skirting profiles and colouring now.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back