Wiring in screed? Behind skirting boards?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

Trying to pre-plan the re-wiring of my shop . . ., two questions - can I run the cables for ring mains into the new floor screed? In conduit?

And second, can I chase out an inch of brickwork at bottom of walls and run cables behind new skirting boards?

Thanks!

Huey

Sponsored Links
Trying to pre-plan the re-wiring of my shop . . ., two questions - can I run the cables for ring mains into the new floor screed? In conduit?
See 522.6.4.

And second, can I chase out an inch of brickwork at bottom of walls and run cables behind new skirting boards?
If you run them in earthed steel conduit. See 522.6.6.

PS - yes, you really should have a copy if you're going to be designing an electrical installation....

can I chase out an inch of brickwork at bottom of walls
While possible, I personally wouldn't, since removing a strip of brick along the whole length of the wall will weaken the wall structure.

and run cables behind new skirting boards?
No.

As this is a shop, why do you want cables in the concrete floor, and why will there be skirting boards?
Why would you want cables around the walls at floor level anyway?

Sponsored Links
thanks . . .

just to try and explain . . . I have gutted the shop and ripped out at least 3 generations of wiring. the entire shop was lined with board and batons, with cables running through cavity. I intent to have some walls exposed brick, and others I will dot and dab. I thought if I could hide cables behind skirting I could get around the exposed brick sections easily . . . .

the consumer unit is one a side wall, and the shop has a glass front down to pavement level. if I could run cables in screed the ring main would be shortened considerably . . .does this make sence?

flameport - I had just assumed I would be putting skirting in - never had a shop before so learning as I go . . . . don't shops have skirtings?

Shops generally have shelving, racks, hanging displays or cabinets along the walls, so skirtings won't be seen even if they are fitted. Have a look in a few shops to see what they have got.

Cables would usually be installed in the ceiling, with drops to whatever sockets/switches are required. (as most shops would have a suspended ceiling). If the walls are to be bare brick, the drops could be in galvanised conduit or mims with metalclad accessories.
If no suspended ceiling, you could run cable tray hanging from the ceiling, painted white (or whatever colour the ceiling is).
Or paint the ceiling black and have galvanised tray for an industrial look.

Whie it is possible to run cables in a concrete floor, the extra cost and time involved when doing this will be far greater than using a few metres of extra cable via the ceiling space.

Ring circuits might not be the best option either.

thanks flameport - some good ideas . . . a couple of questions :what is a cable tray? and why not rings?

cheers

er, I will be, but don't see any reason why I can't chase, run cable, connect sockets, etc. so I don't know how to do it yet, sure, can't I learn?

Skirting trunking may be an option as long as it's not prone to frequent damage.

er, I will be, but don't see any reason why I can't chase, run cable, connect sockets, etc.
You don't know where or how to chase and run cables. You don't know the reasons for and against ring finals and radials. You don't know what the alternatives are for installing cables in your shop. And that's just a few things you've asked about here - what else don't you know? More importantly what do you not realise you don't know and won't think to ask about because you have no idea the topic even exists?

so I don't know how to do it yet, sure, can't I learn?
Of course you can learn - everybody else has. And asking questions here can sometimes be a useful part of the process, but the key word there is "part". Asking here cannot be the only, or even the main, way in which you learn - it's not efficient, it's not structured, and as per above, you'll only ask about things you realise you don't know.

If you want to learn you'll have to put the shop refurbishment on hold for quite a while.

don't get me started on the things I don't know! the list is long and varied . . . .

surely with a bit of advice any practical person is capable of doing at least the first fix? I certainly feel that (with some advice) I am . . . ..

I don't intend on only using information kindly shared on this forum as the basis for my installation, but it's a start . . . .

I own the freehold of the building, I am doing the shop renovations and fitting myself, and am then opening a new business in my shop - I WANT to do the work myself where humanly possible - for me, that's how building a new life works . . . ..

So - radial v's ring for shop installation - discuss .. . . . .

don't get me started on the things I don't know! the list is long and varied . . . .

surely with a bit of advice any practical person is capable of doing at least the first fix? I certainly feel that (with some advice) I am . . . ..

I don't intend on only using information kindly shared on this forum as the basis for my installation, but it's a start . . . .

I own the freehold of the building, I am doing the shop renovations and fitting myself, and am then opening a new business in my shop - I WANT to do the work myself where humanly possible - for me, that's how building a new life works . . . ..

So - radial v's ring for shop installation - discuss .. . . . .

Yes, you can probably do the first fix - but you have to know what to first fix and before you can know that the installation design has to be done. At your current level of knowledge that is something you cannot do - you need an electrician.

Once you have discussed and agreed with your electrician what you need in terms of sockets, lights+switches, appliances etc, (s)he can do the design work and then you can agree between you how+where the cables and accessories are to be installed and how much of that you are able to do.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back