Sofit LED downlights

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I have just moved into a new build property which had pre installed sofit lighting. I require to add an additional light but am unsure how to feed the wires over the wooden frame of the roof.

I have a pvc sofit board which is nailed to the wooden frame approx every 60cm.

My question is how to I pass the wire over the wooden frame sections?

Any advice greatly appreciated thanks.

Sponsored Links
Just checked through my loft and unfortunate it is not possible. The sofit is approx 2m below my loft floor and although it is visible it is un-accessible.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Just checked through my loft and unfortunate it is not possible. The sofit is approx 2m below my loft floor and although it is visible it is un-accessible.
I thought the issue was about how you could get a cable to a new light in the soffit. If so, if you can see the soffit from the loft, would it not be possible to get a cable from the loft to a hole in the soffit (if needs be, poke a bit of stiff wire through the hole in soffit from outside, and use that to pull a cable through from loft?). ... or am I missing something?

Kind Regards, John

Thanks for the reply John,

I could probably get a cable from my loft to the new light location using your method thanks. Ideally I would like to have it on same circuit as my other light il try and fish that cable and take a feed off that.

Thanks

Thanks for the reply John, ... I could probably get a cable from my loft to the new light location using your method thanks. Ideally I would like to have it on same circuit as my other light il try and fish that cable and take a feed off that. ...
You're welcome. That sounds like a plan!

Kind Regards, John

if you can see the soffit from the loft, would it not be possible to get a cable from the loft to a hole in the soffit
It will almost certainly be much easier to get a cable through the hole and into the loft, i.e. by pushing it up from outside, with a helper in the loft keeping an eye out for it wherever it decides to reach floor level, than trying to find the hole from in the loft.

It will almost certainly be much easier to get a cable through the hole and into the loft, i.e. by pushing it up from outside, with a helper in the loft keeping an eye out for it wherever it decides to reach floor level, than trying to find the hole from in the loft.
Indeed, which which why my words immediately following those you quoted were:
(if needs be, poke a bit of stiff wire through the hole in soffit from outside, and use that to pull a cable through from loft?)
That 'bit of stiff wire' might, as you suggest, be the cable itself, but it might be easier with something more rigid than (quite probably only 1mm²) electrical cable

Kind Regards,

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back