Soil pipe non return?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Yesterday I flushed to toilet only to find the bathroom had been flooded which looks like my flexible soil pipe has been eaten by a rat or something.

If I knew this was a risk I would never have used a flexible pipe!

I am planning on trying to fit a solid pipe but i didn't origiknally because the hole is quite close to the edge of the bathroom which means I need to move the toilet by a few inches.

I wondered if it was possible to buy a flexible soil pipe that had some type of non return on it with like a flap or something?

Or even an adapter that could sit between the two?

If not then its a thought for dragons den but I would rather get my toilet fixed first and then have rat for dinner.

Any advice would be good! Thanks

Sponsored Links
Excellent, thank you very much!

Do you know if thy are sprig operated so they can be positioned vertically or is it horizontal use only?

Thanks!

Horizontal use only, they're a simple hinged flap. Springs would rot very quickly in that environment. If you've got a rat that far up the drain a thin plastic flap wont stop him, he'll have gnawed through that pretty sharpish! Once the WC is fixed you need to be concentrating on getting rid of Mr Rat! :eek:

Sponsored Links
Installed two of them about 3 years ago on a farmhouse conversion - still OK to this day

Fascinating, i didn't know such a fitting existed. Interesting that previous installations have held up against rodents.

Way back in the day, pre-1950's i guess, similar metal devices were used on some lateral sewer lines (main drainage) but they fell foul of various Codes because of rusting out or the flap going solid, plus they trapped any unwary drain cleaning equipment.

Lateral "In-line" drainage traps went the same way - outlawed - because they created blockage problems.

I was told that the reason the rats follow all the way up a lateral is because they see light (at the end of the tunnel?) - especially true where flexible pan connectors have been used

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back