Soldering Techniques

Sponsored Links
for the non sparkies here can someone post what 526-03-03 so we can judge for ourselves if holmslaw is bullshiting.

Regulation 526-03-03 requires the cores of sheathed cables from which the sheath has been removed, and non-sheathed cables at the termination of conduit, trunking or ducting, to be enclosed as required by Regulation 526-03-02.

Heat shrink meets 526-03-02 (iii)

Sponsored Links
You'll find loads for sale on here, most people only use them once :D

holmslaw said:
The electricity at work regulations are statutory and state that compliance with iee egs will likely constitute compliance with the ewa.
The Electricity at Work Regulations 1989 don't apply to a DIYer.

It also mentions compliance with BS - the regs are BS7671.
That's nice.

So when a spark is in court trying to explain to the judge why his "workmanship" did not cause a fatal fire, he will have to prove compliance with the regs, in this case 526-03-03. Soldering and crimping do not comply with this reg - he's guilty.
This is rather fanciful. Non-use of crimps is not enough to escape conviction for causing a fire. It's possible to terminate and join competently and safely without knowing about BS 7671.

I would imagine that 526-04-01 iii was written because some equipment can only be connected in the manner descibed.
This is the nub of the problem - your imagination...

It was not written to become the standard solution for extending cables - and I would guess it will be revised.
...and your guesswork.

The regs are revised for various reasons - financial, technical, political (EU), newly found knowledge or discoveries. And they are correct in all circumcstances unless a deviation is made by a qualified person who can provide evidence and proof of his ability to make such a deviation. Such a person is not your average electrician.
This is your opinion, not fact.

holmslaw said:
pensdown the reg I mentioned was 526-03-03 not 526-03-02.

As I was about to say, the thread was moving so fast I couldn't paste them quick enough and 526-03-03 does not mean much without first reading 526-03-02

pensdown, you're clutching at straws.
If you subject heatshrink to a glow wire test it would overshrink and split.
A glow-wire test simulates the thermal stresses that may be produced in the material of an enclosure due to fault or overload conditions. A wire, heated to a temperature of up to 960 °C (depending on the intended use of the enclosure), is applied for a prescribed period. When the wire is removed, flaming on the material must not persist for more than a certain period, and drips of the material falling onto a combustible test surface must not cause the surface to catch fire.
It makes no difference if the sleeving shrinks and cracks because that's not the purpose of the test.
And heat shrink is not an enclosure it is an insulator
The jury is out on that one

Along with most other RP's on here I don't agree with crimped/soldered joints inside heat shrink sleeve and would never offer it a solution however, getting back to the OP crimped/soldered joints are classed as permanent as far as 7671 is concerned and screw terminal joints are not.

So as long as the enclosure meets 526-03-02 they don't have to be accessible.

holmslaw said:
That softus goes on a bit, don't he.
If you mean that I persist in asking you pertinent questions that you decline to answer, then yes, I do.

Have'nt you lot got any work to do? lazy s***s. :eek: :eek:
I really can't see why your employer/clients hold you in such esteem.

holmslaw said:
I think I've proved my point. I'm now being told that screwed terminal joints are not classed as permanent. :rolleyes:

You know what I meant......smart arse :LOL:

The only crimpers I allow must use a die and ratchet system, absolutely no manual adjustment allowed

If you want to impress, what you should have said is The only crimpers I allow must use a die and ratchet system, absolutely no manual adjustment allowed and must have a current calibration certificate :rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back