Soldering Techniques

Proper spark here but my head is well and truly on my shoulders, not up my backside!

I totally agree with RF, soldering or crimping is preferable to screwed connection blocks.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
holmslaw said:
I am sure there are a lot of experienced people like me who read this forum and laugh or cry at some of the advice thats given. They rarely post because they know they will be abused by the majority of badly trained irresponsible regular posters.

I don't agree with you there. I've read the majority of the posts in the electrical forum and generally the advice is good therefore I think your comments are a bit insulting to the regular contributors who devote considerable time and patience to responding to queries. Mostly they are the same handful of people. There are often variations in option on the advice given and any errors are usually picked up quickly and corrected. Also, sometimes it’s very difficult to understand the precise nature of the query due to lack of technical detail and clarity in many of the OP’s.

If you have better advice to give, why not just give it instead of making a sweeping criticism? I would certainly like some advice on how to earn 70k p/a testing installations without even knowing the regs :eek:

One lesson I've learned in my working life about people who insist on talking about what they earn is that those who are unhappy with their salary pretend they're on a lot more to make themselves look good, and people on a high salary pretend they are paupers to make themselves fit in.
Every boss I've ever had has always been struggling for cash.
And I've lost count of the millionaire employees I've come across.

holmslaw said:
I have done a proper apprenticeship, was properly trained in the tech aspects at college, passed all the exams...
Since there are many people here who have undertaken an apprenticeship, and technical training in college, and passed their exams, can you explain in what way your experience has been "proper" (sic.) and theirs not?

...and have a responsible attitude.
Since there are many people here who work and act responsibly, can you explain in what way your attitude is better?

Perhaps thats why I earn 70k plus for a 37.5 hour week and have continual offers of work. I ensure that elec installations are done properly and big companies pay handsomely for that service
You appear to think that your income, or turnover, or profit, or whatever you call it, is impressive. I'm curious to know why someone who's "properly" trained would feel the need to parade their achievements on a web site that they despise. Clearly an insecure liar would do that, but since that's not you, what is your reason?

...because they know that contractors promises and warranties are generally worthless.
That's clearly a generalisation, and is untrue of a great many contractors. I sense that you've had a bad experience with one contractor, or perhaps a few, but then most people have. And yet most people don't join a forum whose membership comprises a high percentage of contractors, and make self-aggrandised claims of superiority. So, what would you say is your reason for doing this?

I am sure there are a lot of experienced people like me who read this forum and laugh or cry at some of the advice thats given. They rarely post because they know they will be abused by the majority of badly trained irresponsible regular posters.
Have you been abused? Or are you just trying to make your expectation a self-fulfilling prophesy?

holmslaw said:
Soldering and crimping is definitley not acceptable in the way you guys use it.
Even if you were right, which you're not, you'd do well to remember that The Wiring Regulations aren't statutory.

Also, they're not correct in all circumstances - if they were then they'd never need revising.

wiggles said:
holmslaw said:
See iee reg 526-03-03

Any chance you could quote it? I don't have access to that information. Ta.

Regulation 526-03-02 calls for every electrical connection (joint or termination) in a live conductor or a PEN† conductor to be made within one of the following types of enclosure, or a combination of them:
(i) a suitable accessory (such as a lighting switch or a socket-outlet) complying with the appropriate British Standard. Fig 1 refers
(ii) an equipment enclosure (such as the enclosure of a luminaire, distribution board, item of switchgear, or a box forming part of a conduit system) complying with the appropriate British Standard. Fig 1 refers
(iii) a suitable enclosure of material complying with the relevant glow-wire test requirements of BS 6458-2.1 - Fire hazard testing for electrotechnical products. Test methods. Glow-wire test*
(iv) an enclosure formed or completed with building material considered to be non-combustible when tested to BS 476-4 - Fire tests on building materials and structures. Non-combustibility test for materials
(v) an enclosure formed or completed by part of the building structure, having the ignitability characteristic ‘P’ as specified in BS 476-5 - Fire tests on building materials and structures. Method of test for ignitability (withdrawn but still referred to in BS 7671).

*A glow-wire test simulates the thermal stresses that may be produced in the material of an enclosure due to fault or overload conditions. A wire, heated to a temperature of up to 960 °C (depending on the intended use of the enclosure), is applied for a prescribed period. When the wire is removed, flaming on the material must not persist for more than a certain period, and drips of the material falling onto a combustible test surface must not cause the surface to catch fire.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back