solid copper cable

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi,

I'm planning on installing a Honeywell accenta or a Texecom alarm system and installing the alarm cable as a prerequisite. I've brought a cable with solid copper core. It's a 6 core cable. Is this okay?

Sponsored Links
Proper alarm cable is now stranded, the old solid drawn must have gone out 35 years ago. Absolute rubbish it was too many breaks under screws etc, so glad it is no longer around, get the correct cable, 6 core stranded NOT solid.

Why do you seem to think that solid is used against stranded?

I've brought a roll from tool station. Is it really legacy?

Sponsored Links
Yes :)
Pulling it all out...

Screwfix have 6 core and 8 core. Do you happen to know if either of these are stranded and are there any reasons to consider 8 core?

Thankd for your help.

In the good old days solid wire was put clamped under cupped washers in GPO terminal blocks and some alarm systems used the same blocks or variations of the
cupped washer. Breakage of the solid conductors was rare
GPO cup washer block.jpg

Price .....I don't use 6 core only 8 as there will be spare cores available for future use

You might be better going to an electrical wholesaler and get 8 core stranded

thanks guys. Does £25 for 100 metre 8 core stranded seem reasonable?

also, since I have the experts on hand, do you recommend Honeywell Accenta or Texecom Premier for residential use?

I will be fitting myself and have done 3 Honeywell's in the past but that doesn't mean I need to go for another Honeywell...

About the norm for copper , cca ( copper clad aluminium ) cheaper , Texecom premier for me or castle euromini for basic system

Not sure on the price as I always get mine free depending on the spec of the gaffs I'm wiring :D

also, since I have the experts on hand, do you recommend Honeywell Accenta or Texecom Premier for residential use?

If you want a simple no thrills system go Accenta. The Premier is more advanced and is going to come with a higher price tag.

Accenta = domestic
Premier = commercial

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back