Solid Fuel boiler suddenly not heating water

YEEAAAAAAAWWWWWWWNNNNNNNNNN.

Highlights of todays play at the Bickering Open will be available after a short break :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
d1ynut said:
(after 25 years completely trouble free)
(heating itself normal - DHW is cold)
anyone advise on likely cause/recommendations please?
Softus said:
1. Lack of water in F&E?
d1ynut said:
wife had dumped stuff in the loft that was constricting water supply - i had complained about access and *had* asked her to check water level !!!
Softus said:
Hi d1ynut - could you recap - what did the fault turn out to be?
d1ynut said:
the hot water is generated by gravity
the little "open" plastic feed tank in the loft had run dry
plumberman_uk said:
instead of insulting each other how about getting back to the topic? :rolleyes:
Is there something else you feel needs to be said? :rolleyes: (sic.)

Sponsored Links
I`m sorry to bring this up again, & it`s the last time that I will. The point that is being trumpeted over & over again & banged home is the reason that the OP had no Hot water is because F&E had run dry. On a Gravity fed Hot water circulatory system if the tank ran dry (not F&E) there would be no FLOW of water be it cold or otherwise. Mistakenly the trumpeteer believes there is no flow of water . The poster has already declared that there is water but it is not Hot. An empty tank be it Header, Nelson, F&E or whatever you would like to call it would not contribute to water that is already running being cold.There simply would not be any water! (A point that Agile was trying to make but as usual was ignored) An empty tank may contribute to there being a lack of water but alas, not to the temperature.I would suggest that many F&E tanks all over the country are bone dry, they rarely need topping up, I have visited many homes where the heating has been fine without a drop in the F&E tank. The fact that the tank in this case was dry was purely coincidental.It has nothing to do with the temperature (& don`t forget that this was the problem, not lack of flow). I know what has happened in this case but it`s took this long to get this far & I don`t wish to elaborate further unless challenged (won`t be long )..so put away your trumpet my friend....you are wrong...

I will ignore you personally..I reserve the right to comment on any post that I believe to be incorrect.. then again ..we could just call a truce...this sucks anyway...

A truce is fine, Bamber.

I'm curious to know your view on the cause of this hot water problem, and why you believe that I don't know what an F&E is.

Softus does not seem to have noticed that buried in the many posts some while ago the original poster has explained that the F&E tank had become dry just as I suggested but as usual I was ignored!

Pearls and swine!

Tony

Because of your statement that the lack of Hot water was caused by low or no content in F&E tank...Define F&E you are a plumber..this is not meant to be antagonistic..what is an F&E tank.

d1ynut said:
(after 25 years completely trouble free)
(heating itself normal - DHW is cold)
anyone advise on likely cause/recommendations please?
Softus said:
1. Lack of water in F&E?
Agile said:
Most likely fault after 25 years is the pump have failed.
Softus said:
Hi d1ynut - could you recap - what did the fault turn out to be?
d1ynut said:
the hot water is generated by gravity
the little "open" plastic feed tank in the loft had run dry
Agile said:
Softus does not seem to have noticed that buried in the many posts some while ago the original poster has explained that the F&E tank had become dry just as I suggested but as usual I was ignored!
You weren't ignored because you didn't explain any such thing.

Pearls and swine!
Quite so. ;)

Bamber gaspipe said:
Because of your statement that the lack of Hot water was caused by low or no content in F&E tank...Define F&E you are a plumber..this is not meant to be antagonistic..what is an F&E tank.
Firstly, whilst we may have a truce, which to me means that you may expect that I won't attack you and I, in turn, expect that you won't attack me, it doesn't mean that I've changed personality and/or lost my memory.

Previously you've stated that I'm not a plumber, and now you state that I am one. You were strident, arrogant even, in your first claim, and I see no reason for you to have changed your view.

Secondly, as I've stated before, on other topics that you might not have read, if I'm wrong then I will say that I'm wrong, and I'm more than prompt in saying so. However, this is an extremely rare event - something that clearly annoys many people. I've spent many decades observing people being annoyed at me for being right when they least expect it.

I've asked you a very straightforward and reasonable couple of questions, in a reasonable way; these were:

1. What is your view on the cause of this hot water problem?
2. Wny do you believe that I don't know what an F&E is?

If you don't want to answer then I don't insist and have no hard feelings. It's your choice.

If you truly don't know the function of the F&E then I'll tell you, but if you're asking in order to test me then I won't - I didn't join the forum to have my knowledge tested.

What I will say is that a feed and expansion cistern is not a tank, although it's commonly, but incorrectly, called one.

[quote="Softustank...

Firstly, whilst we may have a truce, which to me means that you may expect that I won't attack you and I, in turn, expect that you won't attack me, it doesn't mean that I've changed personality and/or lost my memory.

Yes...I didn`t think that we would be friends or anything...

Previously you've stated that I'm not a plumber, and now you state that I am one

Only because I dug up one of your old posts declaring that you were a `General plumber`..I wouldn`t get too excited..

You were strident, arrogant even, in your first claim, and I see no reason for you to have changed your view.

I haven`t, like I said..I dug up one of your old posts...

Secondly, as I've stated before, on other topics that you might not have read, if I'm wrong then I will say that I'm wrong,

No you won`t because you always think you`re right...as your next little gem shows quite clearly..I think..

However, this is an extremely rare event - something that clearly annoys many people.

You`re not wrong there Sherlock, Modesty is not one of your endearing qualities then..

I've spent many decades observing people being annoyed at me for being right when they least expect it.

It`s a hard job, but someones gotta do it...

I can`t really be arsed going through the rest.. was there a point...?

Bamber gaspipe said:
Previously you've stated that I'm not a plumber, and now you state that I am one
Only because I dug up one of your old posts declaring that you were a `General plumber`.
I suppose I should be flattered that you went to all that trouble, but I can't be sure that the act was well-intentioned, since your posts still have an undercurrent of wanting to undermine and wrongfoot me - a pointless goal since if it turns out that I'm wrong on this topic then I won't deny it.

You were strident, arrogant even, in your first claim, and I see no reason for you to have changed your view.
I haven`t, like I said..I dug up one of your old posts...
In which case, if you're the plumber and I'm not, I don't understand your reticence in explaining, for all to see, what you believe to be the cause of the fault with the original poster's hot water.

No you won`t because you always think you`re right...as your next little gem shows quite clearly..I think..
Softus said:
However, this is an extremely rare event - something that clearly annoys many people.
My statements showed exactly the opposite of your claim that I think I'm always right - they showed that I know that I'm not always right.

Modesty is not one of your endearing qualities then..
Being wrong only rarely is a fact, not an expectation or opinion, and has nothing to do with modesty.

I can`t really be a***d going through the rest.. was there a point...?
It doesn't take much effort to read the questions, but here they are, for the third time of asking:

1. What is your view on the cause of this hot water problem?
2. Why do you believe that I don't know what an F&E cistern is?

I must have done a good job of ****in` you off Son...I have told you, you were wrong..although the poster has told you his problem is solved..what you got to think about is why?...the answer is starin` in yo` face....you know you were wrong..& now you want me to tell you why......Ask Do It All......he`ll know....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back