Solid State relay

please dont get me started on volt-free contacts! :evil:

I believe there was a heated discussion on here some years ago about that! i have strong thoughts!

Sponsored Links
please dont get me started on volt-free contacts! :evil: I believe there was a heated discussion on here some years ago about that! i have strong thoughts!
Agreed!! There was actually a discussion here quite recently and I, too, have some quite strong thoughts (which some others didn't seem to share!).

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
looking at RS theres nothing else which has a control voltage of 230 with a load current of 50A.

Do you know the actual load on the SSR? what power are the heaters?

I wrongly assumed we were looking for a control voltage of 230v because of how the first post was written:

I have to replace a solid state relay which is woking one phase of a 3 phase heater bank (the other SSR is ok)

No mention of 24 volt control here. However its also my fault for not asking..

Very sorry.

In this situation both the SSR i suggested - the one you have, and the one Iggifier suggested will not work as i think we were both thinking that you wanted 230v control.

Now its get more tricky as there are not many on RS that will suit a 24Vac control voltage with that load.

Looking on RS now and there is infact only one :

http://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/solid-state-relays/5356184/

however it is out of stock until January

Do you need 50A load? what power are the heaters exactly???

looking at RS theres nothing else which has a control voltage of 230 with a load current of 50A.

Do you know the actual load on the SSR? what power are the heaters?

I wrongly assumed we were looking for a control voltage of 230v because of how the first post was written:

I have to replace a solid state relay which is woking one phase of a 3 phase heater bank (the other SSR is ok)

No mention of 24 volt control here. However its also my fault for not asking..

Very sorry.

I posted a copy of the spec so I am even more confused now?

It is a 30kw heater bank wired in star. One phase is DOL the remaining two are via 2 SSR's.

I now see the original CG is rated at 24v dc yet the manual states supply voltage 24ac??

In this situation both the SSR i suggested - the one you have, and the one Iggifier suggested will not work as i think we were both thinking that you wanted 230v control.

Now its get more tricky as there are not many on RS that will suit a 24Vac control voltage with that load.

Looking on RS now and there is infact only one :

http://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/solid-state-relays/5356184/

however it is out of stock until January

Do you need 50A load? what power are the heaters exactly???

CG are rubbish -everything is on back order till mid jan and no one keeps any stock :(

Chaps

The unit is a CG model number CARLO GAVAZZI - RN1A48A50 - SSR, 50A

the details of it are as per pic. My problem is they are on short stock so I wonder if there is anyother one which I could get from RS which would do?

I assume another manufacturer will work but need expert advice before I go fit

TIA

Yes you did post the spec, but the spec shows the control voltage as being 24-230V +/- 15% which is where the long debate started from....

With you saying something about working off a single phase, i assumed that the control was also single phase 230/240 because you never told us it was 24v and i never asked - im really sorry for posting the wrong type up, if id have known it was 24V i would not have done that. :cry:

I am presuming that you have bought one off ebay now?

No I bought the one from Farnell and it has been fitted and apparently is working correctly

Thanks to all.

Chaps

The unit is a CG model number CARLO GAVAZZI - RN1A48A50 - SSR, 50A

the details of it are as per pic. My problem is they are on short stock so I wonder if there is anyother one which I could get from RS which would do?

I assume another manufacturer will work but need expert advice before I go fit

TIA

Yes you did post the spec, but the spec shows the control voltage as being 24-230V +/- 15% which is where the long debate started from....

With you saying something about working off a single phase, i assumed that the control was also single phase 230/240 because you never told us it was 24v and i never asked - im really sorry for posting the wrong type up, if id have known it was 24V i would not have done that. :cry:

I am presuming that you have bought one off ebay now?

This will help me in future. Can you show me where it states the control voltage is 24-230?

under where it says 'Type Selection, 1 Pole' underneath the word pole 'Control Voltage', third one down 24-230v ac/dc +/- 15%

and apologies for not clarifying the control voltage, bham is correct, I (wrongly) assumed 230vac

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back