Someone please put me off...

I wouldn't mess around with those magnets. Not the big ones anyway.
Its said when engineers first switched on the giant electro magnets in the k25 building on the manhatten project it ripped the nails out of the walls. :eek:

Sponsored Links
Unless you close the boiler valves and intercept the boiler flow pipe to drain (assuming the filling loop is on the return) and close all but one rad one by one.

You can isolate the system down to the last inch of pipe, put mains pressure through it and the water will just p*ss through any available hole and clear nothing.

I can't understand how qualified plumbers get into their mind that water will ever slow or stop to collect anything, not already loose, when there is an open exit available to it.

if its not loose, what does it matter? what is important is quality permament protection such as the magna booster...

Power flushing is one big con in almost all cases, easy to understand which is why it sells in the UK, but of dubious benefit.....

Power flushing is a relatively quick and effective way to clean a system in a short time.

But the efficiency depends on it being done properly, using the best chemicals for the installation and correcting any problems.

Yesterday, I went to an old fellow who had, according to his son, paid £1800 to have his system power flushed by a deaf/mute plumber and yet its still not working properly.

The vent/feed are incorrect and the pump is inaccessible behind a pipe and its intermittently pumping over.

The power flushing seems to have been fairly successful on the heating side but the hot water leg strongly attracts a magnet!

The boiler is a 24 kW Promax, seriously oversized for the house but fitted by a DIYer in a very odd way. I did try to take a picture but the owner came back and I did not want to waste my time explaining why I was taking the photo when it was starting to snow outside and and I wanted to be going.

Presumably the Promax with the temp control behind the outer cover is designed for council tenants?

Sponsored Links
best thing is to design and install a system properly, even open vented systems in flats can be designed to avoid ingress of air and significant build up of sludge...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back