Someone please put me off...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Am considering building my own powerflusher machine using a load of lever valves and an old Grundfoss 10-60 circulator. They seem to coat £300 second hand otherwise.....

Is this wise??

Sponsored Links
Have you got a mop and bucket or preferably a wet vac. You'll need one if you try to cobble your own machine together.

You need a 'pump' not a 'circulator' , BIG difference. :p

Are you for real??? :confused: DO NOT DO IT
you would need a Grunfos CP4 Pump at least to provide the head pressure required for power flushing, these cost more as a component than a Kamco CP90!! :rolleyes: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Sponsored Links
Ok then, it's just a 'flusher' that circulates chemicals around rads at the same rate as a boiler, with option to reverse flow and dump.

DC, are punters gonna pay £700 for BG to do that?, or me a 'mere' £400. They expect to see summat a bit, well, hiTech-ish. With a bit of mumbo-jumbo, some clanking around in the roof space for a coupla hours. Numerous visits to 'check flow direction/chemical concentration levels etc'

Bingo, Bongo, Bango - job done, roberts your mothers brother - and out comes the invoice book.

You trying to bite the hand that feeds you?

DH

Don't need one mate.

Mains cold water, hose pipe, two drain cocks.
Cheap as chips. Powerflushing is grossly overrated.

It is overrated, but with your suggestion the water simply passes through the open paths of the system without collecting any sludge. All it shifts is what's already suspended in the water. Only chemical breakdown or physical shaking will disturb the stubborn stuff.

Op you've gotta do it, especially if you're going to sign the ticket that a powerflush has been done as part of one of your installs.

The boys on here laughed at me, and yet I have a small rad in a cupboard with a shedload of neodymium magnets on it which I take off and flush through a couple of times a year (got a couple of inline full bores to help this). Dries my towels and better than a magnaclean at a fraction of the price.

I can laugh at that too!

Putting a magnet on the OUTSIDE of a steel rad will mean that virtually all the magnetic flux will pass along the radiator steel and not go through it as you hoped !

Don't need one mate.

Mains cold water, hose pipe, two drain cocks.
Cheap as chips. Powerflushing is grossly overrated.

It is overrated, but with your suggestion the water simply passes through the open paths of the system without collecting any sludge. All it shifts is what's already suspended in the water. Only chemical breakdown or physical shaking will disturb the stubborn stuff.

Unless you close the boiler valves and intercept the boiler flow pipe to drain (assuming the filling loop is on the return) and close all but one rad one by one.

I can laugh at that too!

Putting a magnet on the OUTSIDE of a steel rad will mean that virtually all the magnetic flux will pass along the radiator steel and not go through it as you hoped !
Scoff you may, but it works extremely well. Back to school for you Tony :)

those magnets must be real powerful :eek: Have you ever put them near your `leccy meter ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back