Something's a bit amiss here

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
IMG_0062.jpg

Sponsored Links
The owner of the energy meter has clipped it round the cable that most people would expect to be live, can't fault them for that.

The red wire looks like it has been there a long time, and it doesn't look like a DIY job. Do you think someone didn't have any yellow and green cable or even tape in the van so used what was available and meant to go back later?

Well technically, it looks like that cable is the neutral.

It's labelled as PME but appears to be taking the N+E from the lead sheath (didn't notice that whilst I was there) There's no cable entering that henley labelled PME.

DNOs don't seem to care what colour cables they use on their equipment, did a meter move with the DNO a couple of weeks ago, the guy used two blue tails for L+N.

Wow, that's thrown me. I assumed the PME labeled Henley was connected to neutral from the cutout below. So what I thought was was a redundant TN-S Clamp around the supply does go somehere..

Sponsored Links
The neutral has a grey sheath, it goes to the centre left terminal of the meter. The red looks to be the earth for some daft reason.

Yea the clamp comes off the sheath and into the right hand Henley, this then feeds the left Henley via the red tail, the neutral then returns to the meter via the grey tail. Earths also connected to the right hand Henley

I'd, mistakenly assumed that the Henley on the left was fed from the ISCO cutout, and I'd only taken the picture because of the red tail. However, on closer inspection (and manipulation) of the picture, it appears the left Henley is not connected to the head

So why are there 2 Henleys? Someone in the past must have thought 'I could put the neutral in the henley on the right' and do away with the one above the cutout.

So the CNE is reliant on the not so healthy looking clamp on the service cable?

People remove cables and leave henley blocks all the time. It's just easier.
Yes, I understand that. I'm not an electrician but I would have thought whoever took the last wire out of the Henley on the left (assuming it once was used to connect 3 wires) could have simplified things by just moving the neutral and getting rid of the red cable and the Henley.

I expect to see an 'After' photo sometime. :D

Yes, I understand that. I'm not an electrician but I would have thought whoever took the last wire out of the Henley on the left (assuming it once was used to connect 3 wires) could have simplified things by just moving the neutral and getting rid of the red cable and the Henley.

I expect to see an 'After' photo sometime. :D
People just don't bother. And unlikely, if it gets resolved it won't be by me. It will likely be a new cutout tbf, they don't touch those cast iron ones, they just smash them off.

We get this set up a lot in my area. I'd bet it was a TN-S supply. The bottom right Henley was the original MET. The TN-S earth will have failed so the DNO converts to TN-C-S and links the MET to neutral in this case with red for some bizarre reason! The old TN-S strap remains connected to the MET but is now a bond to the PILC sheath as it becomes an ECP.

The bit I'm not following is the lack of a link between the cutout and the left hand henley, maybe it was an open circuit neutral and they used the sheath but that sounds a bit more dodgy!

Methinks some further investigation is needed. I need to go back and resolve this anyway, same on all 3 ways in the top Wylex Standard.
IMG_0063.jpg

No, it's not live, it's fed from a 30A 3036 in the lower board.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back