Something's a bit amiss here

Sponsored Links
Unfortunately seen that too often on the old wylex rewirable fuse boxes :(

Sponsored Links
maybe it was an open circuit neutral and they used the sheath but that sounds a bit more dodgy!

That does seem to be what has happened as there is only one conductor coming out of the cutout.

To me that looks like a call to the DNO is needed and sooner rather than later.

I am assuming there is a conductor from the bottom of the henley sat on top of the cutout, coming from the cutouts L/H cable point, which is where they actual neutral is coming from.
The bottom henley is terminating the earth braid from the sheath. This would of been the TN-S connection point originally, but I would guess it went high resistance due to jointing issues in the street. They then typically just earth it down and convert to PME from the head. Why they used red, who knows.

The grey pair are the tails.

There could actually be current in the red, you can get circulating currents where you bridge TN-S and PME, as some of your and your neighbours neutral current could decided to flow down the sheath, depending on the impedances.

With that red tail gone, you have a perfectly normal TN-S arrangement, as I am pretty sure the neutral is coming into the bottom of the top henley. The red has been added due to a TN-S fault.

I am assuming there is a conductor from the bottom of the henley sat on top of the cutout, coming from the cutouts L/H cable point,
It doesn't look like there is.

work.jpg

And if the energy meter is showing that power is being used then the full load current from the Neutral meter tail will have to be passing along the red conductor, through the sensor and down into the lead sheath.

That's what I'm beginning to think is the case. Gonna see if I can pop round later and confirm. Got some shields for that Wylex to put on too

I am assuming there is a conductor from the bottom of the henley sat on top of the cutout, coming from the cutouts L/H cable point,
It doesn't look like there is.

View attachment 102484

And if the energy meter is showing that power is being used then the full load current from the Neutral meter tail will have to be passing along the red conductor, through the sensor and down into the lead sheath.

I would put money on there being a neutral link there. Most likely a bare conductor, hence the henley being so close. The henleys R/H terminal is right were the tail would come out of the head.
In fact, I wont put money on it, I will just say you are wrong. Plain and simple. It's pretty obvious.

That's what I'm beginning to think is the case. Gonna see if I can pop round later and confirm. Got some shields for that Wylex to put on too

Sorry, I bumped into this when I sneezed and brought it back up. :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back