Sound, but no picture. (Hitachi TV)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello Folks. I have a fairly new Hitachi LED TV which has lost it's picture. The sound works fine but no picture at all. I have tried different HDMI ports, and the re-booting of the TV. but with no joy. I have tried to find someone that could quote me on a repair but no joy there either! The two companies I did try didn't even get back to me ?
So, short of throwing it away I would like opinions on if I could try and fix the TV myself ?
Thank you for your time. Mark.

Sponsored Links
Any On Screen Display at all?
If not, is there any hint of display, but no backlight if you shine light on to the screen?
...and how new, is fairly new (model no. Etc.) ? :)

If it's destined for the tip, then there really isn't any harm in having a play, is there! ;)

Tried different hdmi lead? They can cause no sound or no picture or even lines across screen.

Sponsored Links
So HDMI is not working. How about the tuner.? How old is it? If less than 6 years (5 in Scotland) you have rights under the Consumer Rights Act against the retailer who sold it to you.

Thank you very much for your replies.
There does seem to be a backlight, just a blue/grey screen though.

Attachments

• IMG_2675.JPG
    IMG_2675.JPG
    357.3 KB · Views: 168
Again though, any on screen display, menus etc? Or just the blue/grey screen?
And as Winston asks, is this limited to the HDMI inputs, or to the tuner as well?

Backlight failure on an LED TV.

A single dead LED can stop the rest from working. (Think 'dead bulb on Christmas tree lights'.)

The fix is to strip down the TV and replace all the LED strips. 58" is still a big TV by current standards, so if you were happy with the TV then it would be worth doing. The only question mark is over the availability of the light kit and whether you're up to fitting it.

The ebay link is from the U.S. site just to show that parts are available. You'd need to find a vendor that supplies into the U.K.

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Thanks again for all your help.
There are no menus or on screen displays at all. I'm not sure about the tuner to be honest. I am willing to pay to have it fixed but cannot find anyone that is willing, do you think that this is because of the age of the TV ?. I have only had the TV 18months and my partner at the time got it from Argos.

I have only had the TV 18months and my partner at the time got it from Argos.
In that case an EU law (not repealed as far as I know) gives you a 2 year guarantee. Also the Consumer Rights Act gives you 6 years protection. Expect Argos to fight and try to palm you off with the manufacturers guarantee which is in addition to your legal rights. You may have to go to the top, involve the Citizens Advice Bureau etc.

Have you got the receipt or other proof of purchase such as a credit card statement etc?

Also the Consumer Rights Act gives you 6 years
Sometimes, not always, only if your rights have been breached. And it is only 6 years to pursue a claim, therefore you'd ultimately have to take them to court and prove it was defective when sold to you. Same as the second year of the EU warranty, you have to prove it was defective at the point of sale.

Sometimes, not always, only if your rights have been breached. And it is only 6 years to pursue a claim, therefore you'd ultimately have to take them to court and prove it was defective when sold to you. Same as the second year of the EU warranty, you have to prove it was defective at the point of sale.
A TV is expected to last at least 6 years. It hasn't. Therefore it was defective at the point of sale.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back