Sound, but no picture. (Hitachi TV)

Sponsored Links
The proof is the fact it did last as long as expected. (6 years).
That's not right.

There could be any number of reasons why a TV fails within the 6 year period. It's up to the consumer to prove that something about the set design or components used caused the set to fail. These are manufacturing issues. Sticking a TV out in the garden for across summer because the owner saw one of these makeover shows with a family watching in some chichi garden niche may well cause a TV to fail. That's not a manufacturing fault. Hanging a TV in an indoor swimming pool. Not a manufacturing fault. Leaving a TV as a surrogate babysitter playing cartoons where it's accessible to little hands; not a manufacturing fault.

Stuff such as prematurely failing capacitors or backlights burning out inside of 18 months. These are manufacturer faults, and in the case of the capacitors, they've resulted in class action law suits.

If it's a 10-year-old telly........ all of this is moot.

Thanks again for all your help.
There are no menus or on screen displays at all. I'm not sure about the tuner to be honest. I am willing to pay to have it fixed but cannot find anyone that is willing, do you think that this is because of the age of the TV ?. I have only had the TV 18months and my partner at the time got it from Argos.
Are you saying that the TV is 18 months old? If so, contact ARGOS. It's their product. It says so on the rear panel, plus your contract of sale is with the retailer who supplied it and not the brand on the TV badge.

You'll need your original receipt or a credit card bill showing the TV purchase as an itemised listing.

If you get no joy and till want to go down the repair route then contact Allan at Cornwall TV Repair

Sponsored Links
Can you get the menu on screen? (press the menu button).
If your getting sound the the tuner/input is likely OK and it's something else.
Could just be a capacitor needs replacing which makes it repairable, if it's the backlight then it's generally not worth it.

The proof is the fact it did last as long as expected.
So a defect cannot develop during the TV's lifetime? All defects must have been present at the point of sale? Is that really what you are saying?

Defects can develop due to poor quality workmanship or components. Capacitors are a prime example. If decent ones are used they would not fail during its lifetime.

Failing capacitors would be proof enough.
Who are you going to prove it to? The Consumer Rights Act gives you 5 or 6 years to seek damages under certain circumstances, that's all. And any damages you are awarded, after 6 months since new, can be reduced by an amount for the use you have had of the TV. After 5 years you could be due next to nothing on a cheap set.

You portray the act as an extended warranty when it is nothing like that at all.

Defects can develop due to poor quality workmanship or components. Capacitors are a prime example. If decent ones are used they would not fail during its lifetime.
The logical conclusion to your argument here is that a TV would last forever. That's not a reasonable position to hold.

A modern TV has to fail eventually. Something must give out. What we're really talking about here then is a reasonable lifetime. A capacitor may well be the death of the TV, but it should last a reasonable length of time.

"Reasonable" has been defined as 6 years. After that then all bets are off.

Thanks again for all your help.
There are no menus or on screen displays at all. I'm not sure about the tuner to be honest. I am willing to pay to have it fixed but cannot find anyone that is willing, do you think that this is because of the age of the TV ?. I have only had the TV 18months and my partner at the time got it from Argos.

I suspect that @Lucid is correct.

If the back light has failed you need need to shine a torch at the screen to illuminate it.

@Lucid and certain other members such as @JobAndKnock are people that know their proverbial "onions".

They are two contributors that I trust implicitly, and when it comes down to advice. In this case, @Lucid is the person that I would want to be the person offering advice.. .

He is willing to provide his advice for free, I do some similar in the decorating forum. It is up to you to take the advice offered or to

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back