Sound insulation of stud walls

From my current understanding, you will only fall foul of the sound/thermal insulation regs. (unless you’ve ripped down more than 24% of the plaster!) if you build a new bog next door to an existing room; i.e. if you are creating a new bathroom, cloakroom or en-suite, audible ‘farts’ are no longer acceptable!

Sponsored Links
Are you 100% sure on that, Richard? Where does the reference to plaster come from ?

Are you 100% sure on that, Richard? Where does the reference to plaster come from ?
I became aware of this little gem only quiet recently from another post; can't find the specific post but hopefully one of the other regulars will remember it & provide a link for you!

It comes under Building Regs. part L1B; plaster on an external wall is considered a thermal element &, it seems, if you rip down more than 24% of it the refurbishment work becomes notifyable & the new plaster has to comply with the latest standards for thermal efficiency. Part L is not particularly easy reading but start with page 23; I’m sure there is another reference in there somewhere, which again, I’ve been unable to find.

OK - no problem as it applies to external walls and not internal. Loads of Kingspan going on the external walls and so plaster thermal efficiency pales into insignificance in my case! My local BCO is pretty approachable and has also given me dispensation to go for 4:6:4 argon filled glazing units sicne I'm putting so much insulation in the building compared to what it didn't have before. The windows are smallish being an old black and white property and to go for those ghastly modern wooden windows with more wood than glass is a no-no for me.

Sponsored Links
The windows are smallish being an old black and white property and to go for those ghastly modern wooden windows with more wood than glass is a no-no for me.
Now youve done it; the "wood is best" guys will be onto you!

The windows are smallish being an old black and white property and to go for those ghastly modern wooden windows with more wood than glass is a no-no for me.
Now youve done it; the "wood is best" guys will be onto you!

Sirrah...you do me a disservice!

I am saying wood is best -and that's why I'm making them myself so that I get elegant glazing bars and not the tree trunks that many modern wooden windows have!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back