Spa tripping in garage

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Not long moved in and built a gym in garage. Ran 30 metres of 4mm sq T&E to a weather proof Mini CU. The connection to the main CU is with a double pole 63amp RCD. and the live in on the mini CU is a 63amp MCBO. There are two feeds off this - 1st is a 40amp mcb feeding a sauna the second is a 20 amp feeding two double sockets with a 1.5kw spa plugged in.
With the sauna not plugged in or any other appliances as soon as I plug the spa in - the breaker trips.
However if I connect the spa via an extension lead from a socket in the house the spa works fine.
Is the cable too long, are the breakers the wrong size - what can I do - please help
:D :D :D :D :D
Lifes too bloody short

Sponsored Links
You do not say so, but I am guessing it is the RCD that trips. If not, which Breaker is it?

When you use the extension lead from the house, it it plugged into an RCD-protected circuit?

When you say MCBO, do you mean MCB or RCBO? Or is it a main switch? Can you post some photos?

p.s.

christramp said:
Lifes too b****y short

It will be if you use a spa bath with an electrical fault.

Hey thanks for the reply. took some photos but have gotta load them onto a web site and email to admin at diynot. Will try and do so tomorrow but I had another look at the set up and here are the answers so far.
The MCBO is actually an rccb (Sorry) and this is the first thing to trip. The individual MCBs on the mini CU dont trip.
After resetting and trying to connect the spa again, then the RCD on the main CU trips.
The main CU has a series of about 8 qty 20amp MCBs feeding the sockets circuits, they are all in turn fed from a 40amp ELCB.
I meant to say that on the circuit in the gym I can plug in all of my power tools with no issues and I have checked the voltage etc.
I do have a multimeter but so far can only test voltage, bulbs & Batteries with it.
Life is short - I was gonna ask the wife to take a dip and tell me if there is a problem lol

Sponsored Links
Christramp - Theres a very long story behind that one - dont wanna bore ya

Please note down and post on here everything (;letters and numbers) that is printed or engraved on the RCD that trips; and on the one in the house that doesn't. Have you recently tested the house one?

The one that trips, is it in the house or in the outbuilding?

RCD, RCCB and ELCB are all names for the same thing (unless teb ELCB is an old voltage operated one (probably brown).

If you store your photos on a host like Photobucket you do not need Admin to deal with them - just put the photo's address on here.

(Outbuilding)
rccb - 63 amp - 30ma
Test monthly is written beside the test switch

(House)
230b, Wylex, RCD
63amp 30ma
wrs63/2
This is an old one and I havent tested it

It is the one in the outbuilding that trips 1st time, then when i reset and try to plug the spa in the 2nd time the house trips

Do you think its a load issue or a faulty part,

thanks for the tips on the photos ill try it 2 moro

What is the total connected load as it sounds as if you have undersized your sub - main.
By the way it sounds as if you don't know what you're doing.I would get a qualified spark in to check your work before you kill yourself in your sauna/spa

I agree with ricicle. I don't like the look of it and wouldn't want to try to talk you through any of it from here.

A good pro on site will probbaly sort out several of the nasty bits quite quickly.

I would advise against using the Spa until you have had this done.

Whats with the blue wire thats connected in the MCB on the bottom rail in the main CU?

JohnD said:
RCBO I think (B40, 30mA)

Must be then :LOL:

I can't see the photos as I'm on-line via my daughters parental controlled sign in and it won't let me see the pictures.
Good job really with some of the horror shows on here :eek: :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back