Spa tripping in garage

Sponsored Links
To answer my own question, it might the phase feed up to the RCD on the top left hand side which appears to have two blue wires in the top. Should really be in brown though.

christramp said:
Ran 30 metres of 4mm sq T&E to a weather proof Mini CU. The connection to the main CU is with a double pole 63amp RCD. and the live in on the mini CU is a 63amp MCBO.

30 metre run of 4mm T&E allowed to reach 63 amps, this can't be right :!: :!: :!: Is there any other kind of breaker/fuse protecting the 4mm cable :!: :!: :!:

30 metre run of 4mm T&E allowed to reach 63 amps, this can't be right Is there any other kind of breaker/fuse protecting the 4mm cable
Rest assured the spa is well and truely out of action till this is resolved. I will definately get a spark out asap to rectify my issues, I am alos going to get a whole new main CU put in - the Ceramic fuse is a big thing here but I dont like it.
I appreciate I am an uneducated amautuer trying his luck but I have gone to the end of where I can go now.
Out of curiosity could anyone tell me if the 4mm T&E at 30 metres (No further breakers protecting the cable) is correct for a 32 amp sauna and a 13 amp (1.5kw) spa. All of this cabe is protetected from the elements and all run at ceiling levels and through an attic.
Also what is the most suitable mcbs / rcds etc for this job.
Many thanks
And if you read this in 2 days - HAPPY NEW YEAR

Sponsored Links
No, its definitely NOT suitable for this load!!

It can only handle up to about 32 amps and that is without derating it!! You have 30 or so metres - and that will bring it down a LOT!!

You're more likely to need 10mm , possibly 16mm.

Best to leave it all alone , get some pro advice. That setup of different brand MCB's does not look good!

Somebody's been there since harmonisation (ie since Jan 2005) - I'm gonna bet it was fine before they messed with it!

It's probably a good job that it tripped out! Had it worked for you, you'd have been in your sauna getting steamed up - while your house was getting smoked up! And you would'nt have know til it was too late!

Firstly I am definately leaving this alone but am still confused.
I understand the cable being unsuitable if the whole load is put upon it but I can easily turn the sauna on (4.5kw) With its own switched spur and nothing trips - I understand that if left it could indeed cause fire etc.
However in comparison the spa is only 1.5kw (Same as a big heater) and is connected via a 13 amp 3 pin plug. however when I turn this on it trips the board. Even with the feed to the sauna being off the spa still trips. I know the electrics is spot on with the spa as Its a brand new motherboard (Small bl*@dy fortune)
The sockets seem to be ok as i can run loads of heavy power tools off them
Sorry to ask again but ive got an inquisitive mind and would love to have an inkling of the issues

If your sockets are OK with everything else and trip when the spa is plugged in it points to a fault on the spa.

you have been saying that the RCD trips.
christramp said:
...an rccb (Sorry) and this is the first thing to trip...
christramp said:
...After resetting and trying to connect the spa again, then the RCD on the main CU trips...
An RCD is not tripped by current overload or short-circuit, it trips when there is a leakage of current to earth. This is typically caused by water getting into an electrical appliance and creating a danger of electric shock. It can also be caused by a non-water related electrical fault such as a loose wire or mechanical damage.

Electrical faults giving risk of electric shock are very undesirable where people may have wet skin or be partially immersed in water, and may not have the added protection of e.g. rubber-soled shoes to reduce the severity of shock.

Your RCD is tripping because there is a fault that could easily cause death.

In the UK it is not permitted to have sockets near a bath, swimming pool or spa etc. due to the increased danger.

Right -
Just plugged in an 1500 watt table saw - a 1800 watt heater and ran the 4.5kw sauna at the same time (Only 15 secs)
No trip
There seems to be a fault with the spa - Loose wire / earth problem ????
However how come it doesnt trip when I plug it into a socket via the house. Is it because the rcds are more sensitive etc ????
Thanks guys any ideas

It might be the one in the garage is more sensitive, or the one in the house is broken? Possibly there may be more issues with the sockets in the house. Without testing the RCDs with a proper RCD tester it is nigh on impossible find out.

christramp said:
Right -
Just plugged in an 1500 watt table saw - a 1800 watt heater and ran the 4.5kw sauna at the same time (Only 15 secs)
No trip
There seems to be a fault with the spa - Loose wire / earth problem ????
However how come it doesnt trip when I plug it into a socket via the house. Is it because the rcds are more sensitive etc ????
Thanks guys any ideas

Perhaps your house sockets are not actualy protected by rcd, only mcb

There is 8 mcbs on the main CU fed from an rcd. Is it that there is lots of earths there disguising the fault with the spa (If thats possible).
As a safety aside would anyone recomend sinking an earth rod beside the spa and grounding the metal part of the spa ??????

Lots of earths probably won't make much any difference as an RCD works by looking at the ballance of current in the phase and neutral conductors, if the earth is disconnected it will make a diffenence though.
Converting to TT (earth electrode) must only be done by a competent person with the correct test equipment.

Thanks again,
Ill leave the earth rod idea alone, Im gonna get a spark in as soon as pos and go back to the spa company about pos earthing issue.
Its a bit worrying that the house circuits didnt trip, Im getting a new main CU soon as well so that will hopefully sort that issue out

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back