Spade wood bits

Thanks. I always just take them in for sharpening when they start to lose their edge. I'd seen jigs, both bought and made and wondered whether they really worked. You've answered that.

Sponsored Links
I can't make out how that works. Is that the blade in the vice? with the stone clamped to the board?

The blade is in the jig held down flat with the four screws.
The hone isn't clamped.
As the arm is moved back and forth I'll push the hone slowly back with my left hand to try to get an even wear on the stone.

Haven't put on a leather glove yet but probably should as a slip could be nasty.

I've sharpened planer blades on a horozontal grindstone but I am impressed with your set up . How often do you touch up your blades and how long does it take?

I don't do a lot off p/t work.
I'll touch the blades up as soon as I hear the cutting tone changing on the machine and the surface finish becoming less smooth.
Takes about 10 minutes.

This was my latest big planing and milling job. :D Real purdy innit?
oiledroubo.png

Sponsored Links
amazing what you can do with an old pallet or 3, :LOL:

nice job m8ty,seems a shame to actually use it,:D
though i do think your camera has a bit of lens flare/glare whatever its called(?).

Handsome bench that! You can't beat a proper bench for hand work. What timber is it?

that first slip with the router will break your heart, I remember my first bench getting an O gee shaped dink in it

Handsome bench that! You can't beat a proper bench for hand work. What timber is it?

Yellow pine with ash for the vice front and sliding deadman. The crochet is a ply of oak and walnut.
I'm not sure what I'll do with it yet as it does seem too good for my workshop.

Yes, very nice indeed. It's a credit to your woodworking skills. I'll guess it weighs a pound or two!
If I had it, I'd keep it just for hand work. I built mine from beech with a couple of Record iron vices 20 years ago, I've kept the top oiled, and it's taken a nice patina over the years. Hand work is no problem as long as you use scrap for paring etc. You only get the odd nick. It has got three or four router scars though. I've let new wood in to the worst.

I don't like to see a pristine work bench. get some drill holes, gouges and hammer dings on it.

Nice bench almost too good to use, and I'm equally impressed that the workshop is so clean :eek: not like mine where the sawdust catches in the cobwebs and at times I can't even see the floor.
My own workbench is somewhat cruder to be honest built out of reclaimed 4x2 on a brick wall base and covered with ply. Then I have a similiar bench outside for use when the weather is decent which is rough softwood with a mdf top covering ( it has a hinged top to keep it dry).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back