Speakers around the whole house

I was under the impression this was a technical forum to answer questions, not a Chat room! :LOL: sorry guys i was being Facetious, be gentle with me.

Sponsored Links
He's right, of course, I've noticed a distressing tendency for people to digress from the original topic once it's been dealt with.

Not I though, never...... :eek: ;) :rolleyes: :cool:

I can't say I have seen too much wandering from the topic myself, although I have noticed that the weather has been rather mild the last few days, I'd go so far as to say pleasent in fact, which reminds me..... :D:D:D

OK..I'll grab my Jacket from the coat stand on my way out.... :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
securespark said:
Sorry Ken.

You're NOT contributing are you?

Hypocrite!!
:LOL: It would have been hard for me to have made the comment if i hadn't posted it in the first place! and so it goes on and on and on and on.........................

So, maybe the soln is to take an off-topic conversation to the General Chat forum.

No wasn't breezer it was that ban-all-sheds bloke.

Anyway, i was the original poster and it seemed quite a hit with a lot of people, it certainly helped me figure out even whether i should have sound around my house. I am a gadget freak i have 2 plasma's 42" a 42" rear projection and the sound is to say the least amazing.... Having said that i've got a story to tell.

Plasma's are fantastic. Rear projection is another thing. Purchased this one from Comet, don't ask me why i did that, just did, no extended warranty samsung like my plasma's, with dvd and 5:1 surround sound. 12 months warranty ends, 12 months and 12 days, the convergance board burns out and sends of a distasteful oxide smell around the whole house. Her indoors panics, phones me at work and so i told Samsung of this fault. Samsung didn't want to know. I phoned Comet and told them that i was out of warranty but something is seriously wrong. Comet didn't want to know..

Right i thought, Phoned Samsung again armed with my trading standards and told them that even though i didn't have extended warranty they had a duty because of a fault product to fix it. Asked to speak to manager (no Good) asked to speak to technical manager sorted, he stated that he will commision somebody from comet to come out and fix it for me free of charge. Comet came out engineer. Ordered part convergance board. 1 week later came to fix it with part, (wrong part) He had the RGB board. still isn't done put at least i'm getting it for free. Gave them a bit of legal in relation to trading standards, and manufacturers commitment to me for upto 6 years. Comet bloke stated that the part would have cost around £500. pays to be forceful at times.

What do you think.

Two plasma's is that just in case you have to turn your head to talk to your missus ;) if it is, I like the way your thinking......

I'm still stuck with my Sony 42" rear projection and had a similar problem with the screen as it got marked on the inside, Power House 5 year warranty said it does not cover accidental damage, yes I marked the inside of my own screen :confused: (noob)

Big saga, got a cheque for a new screen, went out and bought some new motorbike leathers, as the screen is not too bad and does affect viewing.....happy days.......Just in need of a Plasma........

Oh no rear projection.... When the engineer came around to take a look at this smoked out rear projection, he said that you must never do one thing to rear projection screens and that is touch them or put anything on them.... Thanks Samsung and Comet for telling me. This is amazing he said if you touch it just once or spray anything on it it will damage it immediatley. I told him it doesn't he said it does, i said well that's starnge it's withstood 12 months and a few days of Furniture polish and sticky hands from toddlers... Don't think so... I think rear projections are becoming a thing of the past LCD is something that we need to consider, the only thing is is that i'm yet to fing somewhere that makes them bigger that 32 inch.

2 Plasma's reason being send her indoors to another room when the FOOTY is on. Just about to do the kitchen, the Wife says she want's one of those flip down 7" wide screen LCD TV's under the worktop or in a convienient space. Has anybody ever put one of those in as a job???

Gadget man isnt in it.........your looped...... :LOL:

With your plasma's did you get a tuner or just use the Sky/cable etc.......how much heat they giving off and I've heard they can become noisey......also been told that screens go after around 4 years if not serviced.....(dunno how true), just thought I'd ask before I go spend some cash sorry Visa's. :rolleyes:

Heat isn't the word. Sony once showed a picture of when a child was watching a cartoon. The child went and kissed the television set which was a plasma screen, namely kissing one of the cartoon characters, pictures were not long released after which showed the childs lips blistered from a burn.

Since then modification of the heat output from the screens has taken place and now they are not hot they are just warm. The heat however from the back of the set is amazing, on a cold winters day you could warm your hands on it.

I have the tuners with both of mine, i sugget always buy a plasma that comes with a tuner externally not built in. I have linked it up with my digital box but the other i just use the tuner, i also have my rear projection with a digital freeview box. You are best buying them from Ebay i've seen one today for £2000 which has a 3 tier stand, external tuner and is a samsung.

Other than that, i'm looking at selling the plasma's and getting an overhead projector projecting from a small LCD screen onto a flat screen in the living room. This will beat all plasma's and will not have a hotspot viewing point. This also in the long run will be cheaper than having a plasma. Would need some careful design as to where it would go though.

As for noise i don't find it a problem, My theory is when they are off they are off and like all tv's they are silent, when they are on they are on for entertainment so therefore volume is optimised. The noise that people harp on about is the fan noise and maybe something from the tuner. I entertained some frineds with Lord of the Rings. Obviously for me this was my turn to show the power of surround sound. I had speakers behind the settee and set up a real good night. One of our friends said that the quality was like being at the cinema.

Lord of the rings is a must in suround sound, along with Gladiator. When I went to the cinema to see Return of The King the sound was faulty so suround sound was turned off.......yes i know :mad: ........the manager did not understand my concerns but did ask us if we wanted to go into the next screen where the film had just started........Better sound makes a better film......

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back