speedfit

• Thread starter NotSureAboutDIY
  • Start date
stewski said:
Softus have you got any links for technical guidance on use of speedfit (or hep) as I've simply followed the basic copper layout (as was) with a few minor alterations and used the guidance as provided on the john guest site so further reading would be of interest.
I didn't have any links, but in a quick scout around the Interwebbynet I came across the following:

http://www.hepworthplumbing.co.uk/Hep pdfs/Hep20_Installer_Guide.pdf
http://www.hepworthplumbing.co.uk/Hep pdfs/H & C + C_Heat A_W v2.pdf
http://www.hepworthplumbing.co.uk/Hep pdfs/BBA_Hep2O_2823i3.pdf
http://www.hepworthplumbing.co.uk/Hep pdfs/TFSP4Testing-6.pdf

another thing Im interested in is the use of anti-siphon valves
like hepvo and my no name washing machine drain.
The HepvO® valve is getting very popular, and not without good reason.

many of the building regs part H for drainage seem to revolve around protecting water traps from pressure issues by bore size run angle and trap depth,
As you've probably already sussed, this is because water seals are an effective weapon in the armory in the Environmental Health Department's fight against bacteria, so protecting those seals gets a lot of attention.

surely if a duct uses all valves (no traps) many of the regs details would be a little moot (as the hep site suggests)
I might be having a blonde moment, but I'm not sure what you mean by this - please could you restate?

Sponsored Links
Another problem as you will read on these forums is that many plumbers like to be rude and abusive to each other. You dont see doctors or dentists speaking to their colleagues like that!
I assume that this is an oblique reference to my earlier post to you, which you've soundly ignored as per usual. However, it isn't rude to accuse a murderer of murder, or a fraudster of fraud, so I don't see how it can be rude to accuse a fool of being foolish.

Agile said:
Members are very enthusiastic about the Institute and as membership is voluntary and costs money they only join if they are committed to providing the highest standards.
Nonsense - whilst some members have the right reasons for joining, it's also the enclave of the elitist and snobbish in the trade.

...I only take people who can speak intelligently ( which rules out the 50% of Cor Blimey people! )
Hm. A case in point, methinks.

I said that I can only take people who can talk intelligently.
Er, no you didn't.

Quote:
Another problem as you will read on these forums is that many plumbers like to be rude and abusive to each other. You dont see doctors or dentists speaking to their colleagues like that!
Softus wrote:
I assume that this is an oblique reference to my earlier post to you, which you've soundly ignored as per usual. However, it isn't rude to accuse a murderer of murder, or a fraudster of fraud, so I don't see how it can be rude to accuse a fool of being foolish.

Softass....are you insane???
You are the rudest man I've ever encountered......and all of a sudden...you think plastic pipe (designed for DIY) is longer lasting??....on what grounds....past longevity? Manufacturers say so? I hardly think that any kind of plastic has proved its worth to this day. The nature of the stuff....I really can't be bothered!!...God help you if you tried that stuff in my house!!
Please get a grip, get some manners & get a life will you?
garethgas

garethgas said:
are you insane???
Not as far as I'm aware, but all things are relative.

You are the rudest man I've ever encountered.
Your sphere is experience is obviously limited, and what evidence do you have that I'm a man?

.....and all of a sudden...you think plastic pipe (designed for DIY) is longer lasting??
I didn't know that it was designed for DIY, but I don't see what difference that it makes. As to the suddenness of my opinion, there's nothing sudden about it. Perhaps you don't know what I think, or read everything I write, or think very much, or understand very much?

How many years do you think that copper pipe lasts? How many years do you think that plastic pipe lasts? Which is the greater number?

.....on what grounds....past longevity? Manufacturers say so? I hardly think that any kind of plastic has proved its worth to this day.
So be it. I have my opinion, and you yours.

The nature of the stuff....I really can't be bothered!!
You seem a little over-emotional. Is it your time of the month?

God help you if you tried that stuff in my house!!
Clearly you have something against plastic that your conviction feels as strong as that of a deity. Does this extend to pushfit fittings? Does it go beyond that, such that you dictate the type of all fittings that tradesmen use in your house? Can you also part the seas, and make blind men see? Or are you simply Satan in our midst?

Please get a grip, get some manners & get a life will you?
garethgas
I have all three, and my grip is particularly good.

Live long and prosper garethgas.

Sponsored Links
"""Your sphere is experience is obviously limited, and what evidence do you have that I'm a man?"""

Firstly you have a male name!

Secondly, you previously referred to having a p*n*s! Only men have them ( usually ).

As far as plastic pipe is concerned I have never heard of any Roman plastic pipe but they used a lot of lead pipe which has survived for 2000 years. I doubt much plastic pipe will be around in 20 years.

Plastic is quicker to fit and thats about the only advantage.

Tony

Agile said:
Firstly you have a male name!
My name is private and not published on the forum. For you to publish it would be a breach of forum rules, and we know what a stickler you are for rules.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Plse check //www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=19448

Mod Rupert

Secondly, you previously referred to having a p*n*s! Only men have them ( usually ).
It's not news that you're narrow-minded. FYI I have a penis, not a p*n*s.

As far as plastic pipe is concerned I have never heard of any Roman plastic pipe but they used a lot of lead pipe which has survived for 2000 years.
The lead has survived, but not without leaking.

In any case your preference is for copper, and lead can no longer be used legally.

I doubt much plastic pipe will be around in 20 years.
You doubt it because you wish to doubt it. The fact is that it has already been around for more than 20 years.

Plastic is quicker to fit and thats about the only advantage.
It isn't the only advantage - this is exactly what I mean when I said you write foolish things based on no knowledge.

Why not just be honest? Clearly you prefer copper, you don't like change, and you don't understand how to use plastic and pushfit. :rolleyes:

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

If this thread is full of backbiting and name calling, then it has
become a time-wasting post .

Mod Rupert

I have used plastic pipes and I know how to fit them and have never had any problems with anything I have fitted myself.

I have been called to repair many leaking plastic fittings.

My preference is for stainless steel pipe but thats very expensive and more difficult to fit. Copper is economical and pretty long lasting too.

Copper is not eaten by vermin and will withstand heating system fault conditions unlike plastic which fails at 1 Bar and 130 C.

People cannot have "private" names. Everyone why knows you, family and friends, your bank, IRS, police etc. will all know your name. You choose to keep it hidden on this forum presumably because its better when you are rude to others. As I am not rude I dont need to !

Tony

surely if a duct uses all valves (no traps) many of the regs details would be a little moot (as the hep site suggests)
I might be having a blonde moment, but I'm not sure what you mean by this - please could you restate?

What I meant by this is that the regulations for the min/max angle of drop on waste branch, the bore sizes (for each appliance) vs the length of the duct and the point at which a ventalation shaft would be required all appear to be somewhat related to the idea that a water trap is used and protecting that trap against the following dangers.

http://www.hepworthplumbing.co.uk/hepv4.htm

If a valve (which as I understand can allow inlet air to equalize pressure) is used surely many of these recommendations are less relevant i.e. the requirement becomes simply allowing sufficent waste flow for the appliance!

P.S. cheers for the links

Softus said:
[Clearly you prefer copper, you don't like change, and you don't understand how to use plastic and pushfit. :rolleyes:

I love change and understand how to use plastic and pushfit, but still prefer copper in the majority of situations.....is that relevant?

ollski said:
Softus said:
[Clearly you prefer copper, you don't like change, and you don't understand how to use plastic and pushfit. :rolleyes:

I love change and understand how to use plastic and pushfit, but still prefer copper in the majority of situations.....is that relevant?

very, Its helpful to get an idea of when and where the pros would choose pushfit and why...

Agile said:
I have used plastic pipes and I know how to fit them and have never had any problems with anything I have fitted myself.

My preference is for stainless steel pipe but thats very expensive and more difficult to fit. Copper is economical and pretty long lasting too.

Copper is not eaten by vermin and will withstand heating system fault conditions unlike plastic which fails at 1 Bar and 130 C.

People cannot have "private" names. Everyone why knows you, family and friends, your bank, IRS, police etc. will all know your name. You choose to keep it hidden on this forum presumably because its better when you are rude to others. As I am not rude I dont need to !

Tony
i agree with agile on the copper theme but most of my landlord clients stipulat that i use plastic due to it having no cash value as scrap ( yes they rob houses of copper pipe up here )

speedfit and hep2o are both good too its hard to fault any one of them

and yes a school kid could fit the plastic a lot easier than copper regardless

Sure plastic is quicker to fit, because it is also easy to work with (can be threaded through holes in joists rather than having to cut channels out of them, easy to cut, terminate, join, I could go on. Also the joints are leakproof (assuming of course it is installed correctly, but that applies whatever you are doing) because of pressure on the O rings.

It is not soley a DIY product. If this were the case, wholesale counters would shun it.

The fact of the matter is that the popularity of plastic piping has shot up, used by both DIY'ers and pro's (I know 2 builders and 2 plumbers and they all use it, bought from wholesalers). As for how long it's been around, I first experienced a CH system plumbed in plastic in 1988.

And this is from somebody who isn't even a fan of plumbing! But I can see the advantages of plastic, easy!

securespark said:
Sure plastic is quicker to fit, because it is also easy to work with (can be threaded through holes in joists rather than having to cut channels out of them, easy to cut, terminate, join, I could go on. Also the joints are leakproof (assuming of course it is installed correctly, but that applies whatever you are doing) because of pressure on the O rings.

It is not soley a DIY product. If this were the case, wholesale counters would shun it.

The fact of the matter is that the popularity of plastic piping has shot up, used by both DIY'ers and pro's (I know 2 builders and 2 plumbers and they all use it, bought from wholesalers). As for how long it's been around, I first experienced a CH system plumbed in plastic in 1988.

And this is from somebody who isn't even a fan of plumbing! But I can see the advantages of plastic, easy!

Thats comforting to hear your vote of confidence, I was feeling a lot better about my choice to use a bit of plastic in my DIY efforts, then I read your signature and have to (by law) discount the opinion of anyone who quotes geroge michael, even in irony :)

thats why yer a spark not a plumber the stuff is ****e end of story

i agree with tony stainless is the biz but bleeding expensive
paint booths use it and iv'e done enough of them

scuse me BUILDERS i rest my case :rolleyes:

Mod Rupert said:

Plse check //www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=19448

Mod Rupert

Erm, who are you asking to check the rules? And why?

BTW, I would prefer it if you didn't just shove text into the middle of my post - for one thing it's hard to spot, and would be much clearer if you would create a new post to follow on, much like everyone else does, and like most other moderators do. Just because you have the power and you can insert text doesn't mean that it's a good idea.

Mod Rupert said:

If this thread is full of backbiting and name calling, then it has
become a time-wasting post .

Mod Rupert

This thread is not "full of" those things; it has lucid arguments about the pros and cons of copper and plastic.

Agile said:
Right then - let's get down to it and get some facts...

How many times, roughly, have you seen a plastic fitting leak?

And how many times have you seen a brass compression joint leak?

And how many times have you seen plastic pipe leak?

And how many times have you seen copper tube corrode?

Copper is economical and pretty long lasting too.
Copper certainly has hygiene benefits, of which you appear to be unaware, but it's not much cheaper than plastic pipe.

Copper is not eaten by vermin
Well then, do what I do, and use copper where there's a risk of vermin.

This is what I mean by using the materials that best fit the circumstances - plastic isn't always the best, and nor is copper.

...and will withstand heating system fault conditions unlike plastic which fails at 1 Bar
Have you seen plastic fail at 1 bar?

...and 130 C.
Have you seen plastic fail at 130°C? If so, was it wrongly installed, or was there a system fault leading to over-temperature?

People cannot have "private" names.
Yes they can.

You choose to keep it hidden on this forum
It's not hidden; it's just not published. There's a difference. For example, if you wander into a random newsagent and buy a paper, they don't know your name - not because it's hidden but because you don't tell them (or most people don't :rolleyes:).

...presumably because its better when you are rude to others.
How is it better?

As I am not rude I dont need to !
You are rude (if you would like examples I can easily provide them), so you're either lying or misguided.

ollski said:
Of course. It would be interesting to hear how you choose when to use copper and when to use plastic. Also when to use compression, and solder, and pushfit, and crimped.

Slogger said:
i agree with agile on the copper theme
Easily said, but what exactly do you agree with? That copper is always best? How about when threading through holes in joists - is it best then?

Slogger said:
and yes a school kid could fit the plastic a lot easier than copper regardless]
You say that, but do you mean pushfit? After all, you can use plastic pipe with compression fittings.

So how many schoolkids have you heard of installing pushfit without any leaks ever?

kevplumb said:
the stuff is s***te end of story
Welcome kev - do you mean that it's sh*te?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back