Spillage test on back boiler

do it all, with all due respect your comment that you thought it would pull, unless anyone knows different is part of the problem we have with discussing this type of job on DIY, the point being IF you know the apliance 100% there is no need for thought because you have the exact knowledge of that appliance rather than general knowledge of how to do a spillage test, which can be dangerous, the appliance MI's will describe exactly what to do, years ago i argued with a Technical officer becasuse i had marked a spillage test on a baxi firefront as N/A (can't remember which model it was but i had MI's) he said i was wrong and had to do it so i said show me where to do it , he said i was the gas guy to which i replied "lucky for us both that i have the MI and know what i'm doing then!"

Sponsored Links
do it all, with all due respect your comment that you thought it would pull, unless anyone knows different is part of the problem we have with discussing this type of job on DIY, the point being IF you know the apliance 100% there is no need for thought because you have the exact knowledge of that appliance rather than general knowledge of how to do a spillage test, which can be dangerous, the appliance MI's will describe exactly what to do, years ago i argued with a Technical officer becasuse i had marked a spillage test on a baxi firefront as N/A (can't remember which model it was but i had MI's) he said i was wrong and had to do it so i said show me where to do it , he said i was the gas guy to which i replied "lucky for us both that i have the MI and know what i'm doing then!"

Kirkgas with due respect, your comment is valid up to a point, but not in this case, if I had such a fire sat in front of me I could test the theory, but I haven't so cannot.

If you read the topic you will know as we already know, that there is no manufacturers spillage test for these fires/boilers, therefore you have to make it up or not bother, The OP is concerned about his Gran and would like to do a regular spillage test between services. That is not dangerous and indeed could allow the old girl to live a tad longer.

In the days when these were made we used to hold a mirror over the fire to see if it clouded or not, but then they didn't have smoke matches either. If you can think of a few safety checks the OP can do, between services then please post them.

bamber gaspipe, only you have made such a comment, and respect to you because as i have sad many times it is interesting to hear someone talk on a subject they are knowledgable on, and in this case the subject matter is something clearly you are very familiar with, given some postings and comments you have made, is the comment made because i criticised your coment on the OP making a mistake with their storage tank with you suggesting they spend £'s/$'s unnecessarily? and me coming up with a soluton (not because i'm clever but because i made the same mistake once years ago) or is it because you are an arrogant tw*t who just likes to read their postings?

do it all, fair coment, i just worry that people pick up bits and pieces and interpret them wrongly, there is no prob doing extra tests but will be worthless if not interpreted clearly, unfortunately i can't come up with anything else other than more servicing, good servicing ( which is getting done) a CO alarm, already mentioned, or someone who knows what they are doing taking FGA readings
we have a lot of properties with BBU's that have the tenant sleeping in the living room temporarily due to health reasons etc and we have an agreement that we service them twice a year rather than once, so that if anything does happen we can all be sure we did all we could to minimise the risk

Sponsored Links
bamber gaspipe did you make a MISTAKE in your posting?????? did you mean when i visit your country? what makes you think i am an imigrant? i have posted that i am in scotland but not where i am from, so how can you make such comments, perhaps i too am an arrogant American

Kirk gas going back a bit who do you have an agreement with to ignore a AR is this with corgi or local authority

Is it possible to do a spillage test on a back boiler unit without removing the fire from the front?

NO. Everybody happy?

Sure?
baxi_bermuda_firefront_3sc_super.jpg

Is this the same fool who begged for the use of an `ignore` facility.

You have it, why not use it ;)

Hooray, a back boiler & gas fire unit, thanks for the pic.

Yes and now we got one, are you the same witless ego who decided it was all about you....looks like thats twice you're wrong.

namsag";p="811373 said:
Kirk gas going back a bit who do you have an agreement with to ignore a AR is this with corgi or local authority[/quote
namsag i'm too busy defending my heritage here so i'm not sure what you mean by ignoring AR, lets get back to topic

sorry for keeping this going so long, now that bamber has had another post deleted, i assume for rude content, i'm sure mod has better things to do than watch over two adults having a strop, no more from me on this topic.
bamber gaspipe truce time, go on be man enough to apologise too for wasting everyones time

The likes of you really annoy me, when is the last time you have ever given any helpful advice?

Well I suppose if you discount replying to questions without personal abuse, giving an correct reply to a question and posting out spare parts and manuals to get people out of a hole then it's probably never.

The only time you ever crawl from under your rock is normally to deride my statements.

Yes I suppose that's probably right, I can't really be bothered to see if the majority of my 3800 posts have been replies to you but I'm sure you will have your facts right before posting...wouldn't want to make a tit of yourself would you?

kirkgas An open flued appliance in living room when you know it is also being used as a bedroom and more than temporary is AR and as you are servicing twice a year you know it is not temporary. So who has gave you permission to ignore because if anything happens it is you up for manslaughter

with you now, have checked this out and we have no liability in law, we advised the landlord of the situation and have agreed to service twice a year and have also fitted a CO alarm, as a stop gap until the temp situation is resolved, thus proving we are doing more than normally legally needed, that is where we have no legal responsibility because there is no definitive answer to temporary use, as soon as the tenant is fit they will go back upstairs to bedroom. if we classify as AR we simply leave off and advise the landlord who in conjunction with Social services and their legal dept. have taken a joint decison to allow as temporary situation, it is all about risk management, if we come across a tenant using the living room as a permanent extra bedroom or they have swapped use of bedroom/living room, leaving a BBU in a bedroom we advise landlord of AR, advise the tenant we are leaving off and write cp14, and they send a letter saying its not allowed and that when we are due to visit again there should not be a bed in the room,

Sorry but it does not add up otherwise there would be no need to service twice a year everyone must know it is not temporary to pay additional cost for extra service and if anything happens this will be the downfall as evidence.
Legal department/social services mentioned but no mention of corgi or HSE.

The likes of you really annoy me, when is the last time you have ever given any helpful advice?

Well I suppose if you discount replying to questions without personal abuse, giving an correct reply to a question and posting out spare parts and manuals to get people out of a hole then it's probably never.

The only time you ever crawl from under your rock is normally to deride my statements.

Yes I suppose that's probably right, I can't really be bothered to see if the majority of my 3800 posts have been replies to you but I'm sure you will have your facts right before posting...wouldn't want to make a tit of yourself would you?

:LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

namsag not really disagreeing with anything you say, but as long as i properly identify it as AR, label it, advise the landlord and it isn't on when i leave it i will never be liable for anything that goes on, if the client chooses to service it twice a year nobody can say anything to them, this landlord is social housing with 3000+ houses and nothing is done on a whim or without a lot of consultation the tenant could have been in the property for over 30 years and brought up a family there, the only answer would be to change the heating to electric, or move the tenant out, neither practical given the tenant is probably ill or not mobile, and may recover fairly soon, although as you say if we have agreed to service it twice a year the situation must be at least 7 months old,
there was one occasion where an old guy was in this situation for about 18 months, then unfortunately got worse rather than better and at that point it was clear it wasn't going to be be temp so he was taken into care.
didn't mention earlier but CORGI were contacted for their opinion but only offered the advise that all parties had to make a judgement call on what was temp and accepted the landlord saying constant monitoring would be in place and if the tenant got better she would use bedroom and if she got worse they would take appropriate action, but as a RGI as long as we complied we were ok to carry on with this, please don't think we don't take safety seriously etc, a properly serviced BBU (twice per year) absolute spot on vent 100cm2, a CO alarm and everyone being aware of the situation, a decision was made that the risk was minimal. i have seen something about this scenario either in GI mag or Unsafe Situations document ( prob GI) and all the above actions etc were based on the advice there. it was all about the tenants rights and well fare but comments you make are fair, but we would not ever do anything we were not allowed to, and have turned off many systems and cookers to keep someone safe

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back