Spur's?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a kitchen socket that has a fused spur running of it which supplies some under unit lights. I would like to spur off this socket again with another power socket, is this allowable?

Sponsored Links
nabby68 said:
I have a kitchen socket that has a fused spur running of it which supplies some under unit lights. I would like to spur off this socket again with another power socket, is this allowable?

you should only take 1 spur from a socket

thanks for the reply andrew. so i can't spur from this then? even though the exsisting spur is under unit lighting which would only be using a max of 1amp?

andrew2022 said:
thats something i've seen people say a lot but i've never seen it backed up with a quote from the regs.

Sponsored Links
plugwash said:
andrew2022 said:
thats something i've seen people say a lot but i've never seen it backed up with a quote from the regs.

ive never seen it in the regs either, but its a little tight for space getting 4 T&E into 1 socket backbox...

so if it doesn't say it in the regs then would it be ok to do? ie not dangerous? and if i could fit all the cables in.

could you point me to the specific part in bs 7671....

I know of no reg, but I was brought up to believe it was bad practice to spur twice from the same place.

pdcelec said:
314-01-04

This is the actual regulation, (english as she is writ): -
314-01-04 Where an installation comprises more than one final circuit, each final circuit shall be connected to a separate way in a distribution board. The wiring of each final circuit shall be electrically separate from that of every other final circuit, so as to prevent the indirect energising of a final circuit intended to be isolated.

I don't see the relevance of the above regulation to the discussion; and I don't see any other regulation which would apply.

See OSG P153: -Spurs
The total number of fused spurs is unlimited but the number of non-fused spurs should not exceed the total number of socket outlets and items of stationary equipment connected directly in the circuit.

As far as I can see, there is no restriction mentioned, on the number of spurs connected to a specific socket outlet. That would be determined by the practicalities of the number of cables/core terminations at the point.

A spur from the ring is just that a spur. A spur from a spur is a radial circuit. Therefore the radial circuit should be on its own protective device

P153 of the OSG also goes on to say:

A non-fused spur feeds only one single or one twin or multiple socket-outlet or one permanently connected equipment. Such a spur is connected to a circuit at the terminals of a socket-outlet or junction box or at the origin of the circuit at the distribution board.

pdcelec said:
A spur from the ring is just that a spur. A spur from a spur is a radial circuit. Therefore the radial circuit should be on its own protective device

As I understand it, the originator has already got a fused spur from a socket and asks if he can connect a spur to the same socket.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back