Spur's?

Jaymack said:
pdcelec said:
A spur from the ring is just that a spur. A spur from a spur is a radial circuit. Therefore the radial circuit should be on its own protective device

As I understand it, the originator has already got a fused spur from a socket and asks if he can connect a spur to the same socket.

Sorry. I missed that bit. In that case he can run as many sockets as he likes (from the load side of the fused spur) as the branch circuit will be protected by a 13A fuse.

Sponsored Links
ok. thanks guys for all your replies.

just to make things clear. i have a socket on the ring main which a spur has been taken to a 3amp switched fcu to provide under unit lights. my question was, whether i could spur of this socket again to provide another socket. would i have to put this spur on a 13amp fcu or not?

nabby68 said:

just to make things clear. i have a socket on the ring main which a spur has been taken to a 3amp switched fcu to provide under unit lights. my question was, whether i could spur of this socket again to provide another socket. would i have to put this spur on a 13amp fcu or not?

:LOL: For the record, this was your original question below.

I have a kitchen socket that has a fused spur running of it which supplies some under unit lights. I would like to spur off this socket again with another power socket, is this allowable?

Inglish as she is writ, "Ah ken what ye mean Jimmy, but it'll still nae gae in!"

Still striving for perfection in an imperfect world.

Sponsored Links
Look at the highlighted words - his original question described his layout accurately, as did his second version. The actual question he's asking was perfectly clear. The only muddle was in the minds of people reading it.

Jaymack said:
nabby68 said:

:LOL: For the record, this was your original question below.

I have a kitchen socket that has a fused spur running of it which supplies some under unit lights. I would like to spur off this socket again with another power socket, is this allowable?

Inglish as she is writ, "Ah ken what ye mean Jimmy, but it'll still nae gae in!"

Still striving for perfection in an imperfect world.

pdcelec said:
A spur from the ring is just that a spur. A spur from a spur is a radial circuit. Therefore the radial circuit should be on its own protective device
1) He doesn't want to spur fron the spur - it is absolutely clear that he's asking if he can have a second, completely separate, spur from the same point on the ring.
2) In any event, your designation of a spur from a spur as a new, separate, independent, radial circuit seems a bit odd.

1. 473-01-07 says that is not allowed

2. I still consider SPUR -----SPUR------SPUR to be a seperate radial circuit. Otherwise, what else could you call it?

pdcelec said:
1. 473-01-07 says that is not allowed

2. I still consider SPUR -----SPUR------SPUR to be a seperate radial circuit. Otherwise, what else could you call it?

whats the full text of that reg? (dont have regs to hand)

Equal current sharing between conductors in parallel:

473-01-07 Where a single device preotects conductors in parallel sharing currents equally, the value ot Iz to be used in reg 433-02 is the sum of the current-carrying capacities of the varoius conductors,

It is deemed that the current sharing is equal if the requirements of the second paragraph of reg 523-02-01 are satisfied.

ok, thanks everyone for your answers.

if possible , could someone give me a definitive answer to my original post?
thanks again guys.

NABBY

don't think there is one, mate. as i said i was taught it was bad practice to spur twice from the same point in the ring, but i don't think there's anything official.

try ringing iee on 020 7240 1871 ask for technical and double check with them

Electrical engineers have to make decisions on what they consider to be either good or bad in situations as they come across them. There is no definitive answer to a particular situation that they have not seen.

nabby68 said:
if possible , could someone give me a definitive answer to my original post?
Eventually, but we have to argue amongst ourselves over interpretations of the wiring regulations first...

;) :rolleyes: ;)

I don't see the problem of spuring twice from the same point (not spur from spur), you can do this quite easilly with 30A junction boxes, I would almost swear they were made to do this :D . I don't think there is anything against doing this in the regs either.

I cant see a problem either as long as you have designed the circuit, made the necessary calculations and are prepared to stand by them if the customer changes the parameters when you have left and a fire starts.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back