Spur's?

Sponsored Links
When they plug in high current using equipment (which was not mentioned during installation) and the current summing junction in the original socket gets hot, insulation melts, the rest being evident

Sponsored Links
nabby68 said:
if possible , could someone give me a definitive answer to my original post?
It's not ideal, but you can do this if you want.

You might like to consider extending the ring to the new socket, rather than spurring it

Or doing it like this:

[code:1]----[SKT]----
|
|
[FCU]
|
|
[SKT]
|
|
[FCU]
|
|
(lights)[/code:1]

The real problem is not the load - if it were the other way round, i.e. you already had a spurred socket, and you wanted to add the lighting FCU, I don't think people would be warning that the extra 3A would be the death of you.

The real, practical problem with your plan is getting 4 conductors into each socket terminal, and ensuring that they are all tightly gripped - you do not want to end up with a situation where 3 of them have got tightly jammed together and are not being forced onto the 4th....

That setup would be the way I would go since no more than 13A can get past the first FCU.

ok everyone thanks for all the advice, i think it may be time to put this post to rest ! :LOL:

thanks ban for the diagram and the suggestion of extending the ring,. me thinks this may be the better option but might incur more structural work, so i might also consider the fcu in between the spur and the spurred from socket.

once again thanks to everyone who replied.

This appears to imply one spur only, from a socket on a final ring circuit in this case: -

From BS1363-2, clause 11.5:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Line and neutral terminals in fixed socket-outlets shall permit the connection without special preparation of one, two or three 2.5 sq mm solid or stranded or one or two 4 sq mm stranded conductors.

It ain't in the knowing, it's knowing where to look.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back