Starting an en-suite conversion to a wetroom.

Please don't be worried. My wet room floor problems arose in a new build extension - concrete floor, then screeded to provide the correct gradients - not! Your project has a custom-made floor base with a built-in gradient, which should over-come these problems. McAlpine seem to have excellent range of traps etc.

As a self-confessed spirit level freak myself, I even put the toilet door lock on using a spirit level. I sit there each day and fret because it's not level!

Regarding the tiles, would suggest wall tile overhangs floor tiles to preclude any possibility of water ingress if seal between wall and floor is not 100%. But appreciate problem of batten/tanking.

I posted photos as a reply to an earlier project -"En Suite, Now With Added Dimensions, March 2008", which shows tiling, floor and drain. (Can't do those clever links.)

Sponsored Links
WOW!!! Its looking very good Mikeg68....good job you only seem to work part-time with all that work you've had to do! :D
I'm in the middle of a major project at the mo.....but only taps need changed in the plumbing area!

Well, we can't all sit on our ars...I mean backsides all day and get paid a fortune for it. Some of us work two jobs just to survive. I've even got the young 'un out cleaning cars for a bit of beer money for me. He's only 3!

I've decided not to post the picture of my tiling start. The reason being that I haven't started in the conventional way, and I don't want to be criticised for the way i'm doing it. Judge it once i've done a bit more. It's at this point i'm getting worried! :LOL:
I finished the underfloor heating wiring today (of course it'll be signed off by a competent person ;) ), tested it and it's all good, and the plaster board and chasing in all done.

Things on hold now anyway as I have a critical test on monday at work in which failure is not an option.!! :eek: I'm studying till Tuesday!

Ok, so maybe I didn't do as much studying yesterday after work as I should have!! :LOL:
You know wot it's like when you want a project finished!!! Looks like bad weather Monday anyway. Prepare for snow!!

Sponsored Links
Looking good, bet you're pleased with progress. Nothing like an exam or an assignment to make DIY an appealing option!

I think tiling using natural stone hides a multitude of sins. :D The tiles I have, really range in sizes so it's a bit of an effort getting them to work out ok. Just done 3/4 of another wall before getting tired of it, mind you, I was up at 5am for work, then started tiling 2.30 and just finished tiling half hour ago. Anyway, here's yet another pic to show I am making prgress. I am fairly pleased with it but i'll be more pleased when it's bloody well finished!! :LOL: Oh, and I can't wait to drill through the tiles to fit the sink, and towel heater and shower piping. That's going to be interesting! :rolleyes:

Before I forget, if anyone can guess how I tiled around the towel rail pipes, ( I didn't remove the valves! ;) ), i'd be interested to know how you might have done it. Surely the holes look smaller than the valves?

I give up. Tell your audience how you did it.

Room starting to get its own atmosphere - rather "late Etruscan". Bit chilly for a toga, though.

cheated and made a b***s of it I think. Not happy with the result, and might do those two tiles again. I cut them down in line with the pipes, then cut the holes and fitted the two tiles back together!!! :LOL:
I might have to isolate the central heating, remove the valves, put two tiles in place with pre cut holes.

I'll make a decision tomorrow when i'm tiling again! I know it'll bug me if I don't do it properly though.

Very good better than I did. We made mistake with floor tile selection picked a rough tile to give grip but now find they hold small pools of water. We used under floor heating to dry tiles but in use the water cools tiles and still takes 1/2 hour for floor to dry.
Also the thermostat for under floor heating has now failed 3 times and considering using timer instead.
Not in my house in my Mother's wet room installed down stairs as she only has one leg.
Needed to be wheel chair accessible.
Keep up good work. And all best. Eric

Can't see the join at all on the photo - but if you can, why spoil the ship etc. I tried your trick on my cheapo tiles round the shower outlet pipes and it looked awful. Re-did it properly - begrudgingly: glad I did.

Ok, big push today and tomorrow as i'm off work, but my tile cutter just died!! That's what happens when you are a tight wad. Buy cheap, buy twice. :(
I've done one small amount of kitchen tiles with it and half a bathroom and the motor is burning out! Avoid buying the cheap end 'performance' tools as they are cr^p!

Anyway, I hope to have a bit more done by close of play today but a trip to B&Q is on the cards as they have a tile cutter at half price, 750w motor, and I also need some tile edging strip for around the windows.
I'm going to see what the split tiles look like once grouted. Losing interest rapidly now. :LOL:

ericmark: I was thinking that too, but i'm hoping i've got a good gradient worked out and will be filling the floor tiles with grout as much as possible, to prevent pooling. I suppose I can only see what happens.

Well, I managed a bit of work today. Got sick of it at about 2.30pm so went for a walk.
Hoping to get the walls finished tomorrow, so I can seal them a couple of times.

One hint, if you're fitting electric matting type underfloor heating, when you have it all wired in and are tiling, if it's lying on the floor near your work area, be careful you don't catch it as you walk past!!! (expletive) :mad:

:LOL:

I remember getting very fed up when there were lots of cut tiles to do. Did them all by hand with a little wheel cutter thing (and you think you are penny-pinching??) - mine were only glazed tiles. Once you get the grout going you'll surge ahead.

Look how far you've come from the first photos and think how much you've achieved (and saved) by doing it all yourself.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back