Starting an en-suite conversion to a wetroom.

I dread to think what it would cost from a company coming in to strip, rebuild, tile, plumb, elecs, and all materials, ie shower, sink, towel rail, underfloor heating, shower deck, tiles, grout, adhesive, etc.
Just had to go spend another £100 on tiles today. For some reason I had underestimated number of boxes I needed. Mind, there were a load of damaged tiles in the boxes I had!!

First lesson? Check the boxes before leaving the store.

Ok, so the walls are now all tiled save for a tiny strip behind the door. I have the window recess to do but I need the mitre and a new hacksaw blade for cutting it neatly. (yeh right) I suppose I could always just chew the edging strip off at 45 degrees??
Next, i'll be cleaning the tiles down and sealing them a couple of times before grouting. I'm doing it that way so that I don't then get grout on the floor tiles which i'd have to clean off. I'm back at work for next two days so nothng further till sat eve. :(

Sponsored Links
Serrated bread knife? Remember cutting window edging a tad too long and it kept springing out, excess too short to saw, had to sandpaper it down. My mitres - rubbish.

Wonder how you do grouting on tiles like you have? You'll soon find out and be able to tell us all.

Got the edging strip in place. £12+ per piece, and guess what, I cut it wrong the first time (don't know what I was thinking, and yes, it's now too short in two places!! Anyway, just going to live with it as it's only the en-suite, had it been main bathroom, i'd have had to buy more.!!

I plan on cleaning the tiles tomorrow morning before work, couple of hours should do it, then on saturday, get to do the first of two or three seal coats. I'll take photos of the grouting process, just going to use a rubber squeegee and coat the whole tile, filling the gaps fully to help waterproof them, then seal again, probably twice. No doubt another fortune spent on sealer.
:(
I see sore hands coming. :LOL:
Watch this space.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for that. Always nice to know someone is looking in from time to time. I think the reason people post about projects is maybe the therapeutic aspect. It feels as if you're finishing each work day so it's all ready to start again.

Kind of like putting all of your tools away cleaned and tidy every night ready for the next day...NOT!! :LOL:
Actually, I should post a pic of my garage!! Now that would be funny after the last two days!

Oh, what the hell:-
and no, it's not an explosion in a tile factory! :D

The only downside is that the lamborghini is now living outside on the driveway !! ;)

yeah i check in reasonably regularly..

im about to embark on a marathon of diy in a different manner

im building two horseboxes at work so once I have the shells built I have to build the kitchens/wetrooms etc..

i suppose i could , although I wouldnt have thought a vehicle build would have been of much interest compared to DIY at home? :D

you'd be surprised. Especially for an ex-marine engineer! :LOL:

Tiles cleaned, and sealing tomorrow. Pics after the weekend hopefully if progress made. I feel I should spend some time with my 3yr old boy. Haven't spent much time with him recently.

That's also what projects have to watch out for, ignoring the rest of your life!! LOL

;)

Lovely colour co-ordination on the window edge. Is there drying time between each sealant coat? Just think how much children learn from watching someone with a strong work ethic!

I had a fat, Thelwell- type pony and used to see all those snooty kids with horseboxes at gymkhanas - so I'd love to see how they're built.

Strong work ethic? Me? I'm not sure about that. I wish I could be tidier when I work but for some reason, even though I try, I always make a mess. Is that typical of a DIY'er? :oops:

I'm using HG Impregnator for the sealant, although technically it isn't a sealant. After applying one coat, you can wait about 2 hours and apply another. Then within about 4 hours after that it should be dry. It smells very strong for some time afterwards (a petroleum type smell) but I can live with it.
I can then grout over the tiles but i'll wait until tomorrow. Then I plan on giving one more coat of Impregnator.

Had to post this pic, :-

One of the joys of work!!

Another window pic:-

Hmm, never thought of that as I just log in to the last page each time!! LOL
Doh!!

As for your wife, I know what you mean. You can rest assured that the two weeks I promised it would take has now at least doubled, but I only do it when not at work or when I can be bothered. :LOL:

Just sealed the tiles and feel a bit high!! That Impregnator stuff is Bl**dy strong stuff!! Hic!

It doesn't really change the colour of the tiles much.

How much sealant do you think you'll use for what sq m?

Used HG cleaner stuff to clean quarry tiles after removing solid floor laid on top. Awfully dear - ended up using cheapest Cola instead. Wonder if brick cleaner would work to get cementy type remnants off quarry tiles?

Tidy diy-ers - can't be doing with them. Messy diy-ers (eg me) - triip over things a lot - see your earlier warning! Get twitchy when things are tidy, brain hungry for input. But treat all my tools with great care.

Helicopter - wow. Friend bought me one as a surprise on hols in Nairn - only for an hour though! Utter joy. Lucky you.

I bought a 5ltr drum of HG. I'll probably use most, if not all of it.
About to start some grouting tonight. I just can't sit around watching TV all night.

Gives me an excuse to have a well earned beer after I finish each wall. Pity I wasn't doing an octagonal room!!!!

Results and pics to follow! Just hope they turn out too blurred, LOL

;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back