sticking pump

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just moved house, its been empty for a year and a half. Water was off and heating drained (vokera linea) Anyway, added x100, filled rads and turned on power, all was well for 30 secs then locked out (overheat) Pretty sure its a sticking pump (i thought it span when i turned and bled pump) any ideas how to free it and any thing else worth checking

Sponsored Links
I only used a screwdriver to try to free it (i'll buy a pump tool tomorrow) but its solid. There could still be air in but until i get the pump running i dont really know.

Sponsored Links
(i thought it span when i turned and bled pump) any ideas how to free it and any thing else worth checking

I think you mean "spun" !

But you dont seem at at all sure as you later say its locked solid!

When you have clarified your mind, if its still seized you will have to depressurise the system and remove the pump head and see if you can get it turning by the impeller. A little citric acid in the screw end will help to dissolve the dirt in it.

Tony

Thanks for the advice (English language also). Agile, i removed the bleed screw and used a screwdriver to turn the impeller and it looked and felt like it span (spun) but obviously it didn't, ive tried all local merchants this morning and none of them carry pump tools so i will try your suggestion.

For how cheap a pump is to buy, it would probably be quicker and cheaper to replace it rather than mess about trying to buy a pump tool and having to change the pump in the end anyway.

Not too familiar with your boiler, but cant you just fit another pump head on to boiler manifold :?:

Vokera linea 726 (product No R10020437) I haven't checked to see if another make of pump will fit but at that price i'll definitely be trying

I have had pretty much 100% success in freeing seized pumps when using a variety of chemicals to dissolve the dirt.

Tony

Sorted now, stripped pump and spun the impellor, put back together and ok. After all the palaver it is actually a grunfos 15/50, Tony a pump tool is basically a screwdriver on one end and a long allen key the other, see ebay. Thanks lads.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back