Still getting air in C/H after chemical cleaning!!!!!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a Potterton Prima 60F Central Heating system - simple heating system with 16 rads each with TVR so no room stat. Had problems with air in the system for a number of years. Changed the pump approx 6 months ago and since then get a kettling noise above the pump in the feed/expansion area after the system has been running for a couple of hours. I had been advised to check for blockages by placing a magnet on the suspected pipes and the magnet was attracted to the pipe in a number of spots

Added Sentinol X400 and the system ran a lot quieter with minimal air getting into the system. So I thought the X400 had cleared the problem. After flushing the system clean - and it was thoroughly flushed through the system ran well for several hours before the kettling reappeared. The kettling noise reduces when raising the pump speed to 3.

The magnet was still attracted to the same areas of pipe and so I cut out the suspect areas. The 15mm feed pipe was partially blocked in a t piece before the pump. I have replaced this with 22mm pipe thinking that would help after talking to the pump manufacturer - Circulating pumps.

I refilled the system and as normal took me ages to get all the air out of the system. After 48 hours I was pretty sure that all was well as I ran the pump with boiler off and no gurgling noises - the pump ran very quietly with a normal water flow noise in the pipes around the pump.

When I turned the boiler back on the flow noise gradually became noisier when the boiler was firing ie on it's heat cycle. I would not call it kettling more like running water mixed with air. After 4 hours this changed on the heat cycle to more like kettling for 20 seconds then died away as the boiler turned off getting up to heat

But the system is working really well with all 16 radiators getting to full heat within 20 mins with no cold spots. I bled all the upstairs radiators this morning and 1 emitted air for approx 2 seconds and 2 others emitted combined air and water for the same time.

Is it possible the system could eventually right itself or do I have other problems ?

Sponsored Links
Perhaps the pipe work vent/feed pipes are incorrectly installed/positioned?

Go into loft and plave a jam jar with water in it over the vent pipe. Get someone to turn on ch and see if water is sucked out of jar into vent?

If so this could be where the air is entering the system.

You could always fit a Myson aerjec where you feed/vent pipes join etc.

Go into loft and plave a jam jar with water in it over the vent pipe. Get someone to turn on ch and see if water is sucked out of jar into vent?

If so this could be where the air is entering the system.

Already tried this from a previous post - installation I believe is OK.

You could always fit a Myson aerjec where you feed/vent pipes join etc
I have explored this option previously hence the suggestion from Myson to increase 15mm feed pipe to 22mm

After talking to Myson they have suggested an automatic bleed valve - could that work ?

Sponsored Links
there might be an air leak on the suction side of the pump.

there is a chance you might see white limescale or green corrosion

a photo of the pipework round the boiler, pump, cylinder and F&E might spark some ideas

OOI, how long did you circulate the X400 for before flushing it out?

After refilling, there is bound to be some air to bleed out, trapped in corners and dissolved in the water.

give it a week at hot through all rads and bleed daily, see if it dies away.

there is a chance you might see white limescale or green corrosion

All joints are clean

OOI, how long did you circulate the X400 for before flushing it out?

4 weeks

After refilling, there is bound to be some air to bleed out, trapped in corners and dissolved in the water

give it a week at hot through all rads and bleed daily, see if it dies away

Understood will do and report back end of week

If so this could be where the air is entering the system

Have repeated this check. On start up water was briefly sucked up the vent pipe before returning to normal level followed by a number of large bubbles. Does this help diagnosis ?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back