STOP COCKS

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Should stop cocks and valves in pipework be turned fully on ?
I have heard that it is better to leave approx. a quarter or half turn ?
It seems that the valves/cocks in our loft may only be " half open " = Should I open them further ?

Sponsored Links
I usually fully open valves until the mechanism stops turning, then close them about a quarter to half a turn so the threads aren't jammed. Less chance of it seizing up, and more chance of freeing them up if it does, as you can turn it both ways.

Not a bad idea to 'work' them every couple of months. This also helps to stop them seizing.

Sponsored Links
Thank you for the suggestion, but should I leave the stop cocks fully open ? and I wonder why at least one only seems to be half open ?

Thank you for the suggestion, but should I leave the stop cocks fully open ?

no.

like the men said, give them a half or quarter turn back from the "full on" position.

If it is turned right the way to the end of the travel, it is much more likely to jam and you will be unable to turn it shut again, after it has been left for a while.

Thank you: I must admit the thought has crossed my mind. I seem tio recall that, many years ago, we had problems with banging pipes, etc, and I am now wondering if a contractor may have solved that problem by adjusting the stop cocks in the loft.

there are modern "silent" bal lcoc ks now that are very quiet, you could swap to one if that noise occurs.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back