stranded wire

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
what method do you electrical chaps use to make up connections with stranded wire

i have just put in a set of downlighters and joined them up with 1.5 stranded wire as it was flexible to go round the loft area
it was a pig trying to get the wires to go into the lamp connector as i was looping in and out for the set
i gave the wire a bit of a twist to make it smooth but individual strands kept buckling etc
i finally got them in with all the strands in the connectors
i had thought i might have to solder the ends of each cable as you get on some electrical appliances to make each strand...'solid'...then insert them singly into the connectors for the loop in and out..
cheers
Geof

Sponsored Links
Just line up the strands and put them into the terminals. If you twist them together it makes the bunch BIGGER and more difficult to terminate.

PS. I hope that you used cable that had an earth conductor?

1mm² would have been more than adequate - probably not designed for 2 x 1.5.

Use twin and earth next time.

How flexible is required to go round a loft?

You should not solder the ends.

As TTC says dont twist them it can sometimes make them worse, if anything twist the two together rather than singulary, I tend to strip them longer, lightly twist by hand then snip to length

Sponsored Links
Just line up the strands and put them into the terminals. If you twist them together it makes the bunch BIGGER and more difficult to terminate.

PS. I hope that you used cable that had an earth conductor?

i will try that next time ..i have put in two rows of 5 and i think the room could benefit from another row
and since i have the hole cutters and good knowledge of my lofts wiring map...i had to dig quite a bit under two layers of insulation to find the junction boxes...i am flooring the loft as well so there is some necessity to get the lights in before i cover the area...i have the covers for the lamps where the insulation can go over without touching.

**yes...the lamp bodies are fire rated and the metal casing had an earthing wire fitted so i got 3 core
some lamps are just two wires (12V?) so i dont know what one does then...unless one wires the earth as far as it can be accommodated.??
big thanks again T for a good response and advice

cheers
geof

some lamps are just two wires (12V?) so i dont know what one does then.
Those will have a transformer (aka SMPS, driver, etc). You take the earth to the mains side of the transformer.
The earth should be continuous from the source to the last lamp - in any case, you would need it to test the EFLI at the last light fitting

!5 lights in one room, your a brave man admitting that :)

Oh, just realised i have 20 total, 7 downlights, 3 twin wall lights, 2 single wall lights, a 5 light chandelier and a 3 light fan all in one room, though in my defence theres 8 lightswitches

Oh, just realised i have 20 total, 7 downlights, 3 twin wall lights, 2 single wall lights, a 5 light chandelier and a 3 light fan all in one room, though in my defence theres 8 lightswitches

And you are in Essex.

Up here we have one 15-watt pygmy in the lounge, a candle in the privy, and don't use either of them on the Sabbath.

I do quite like ferrules for flex. Use them a lot with heating S/Y-Plans as those wiring centres can get a bit full.
Not really something to bother with for the odd bit of DIY.
I hate downlights wired in flex, ugh

Me too I like ferrules, I note now you can get an auto crimper that does from small upwards, though I think it maxes out at 16 mm

If you are really posh, you can buy machines that strip the wire, fit and crimp the ferrule all in one operation. About 15 grand a go though! I now keep all sizes both single and double ferrules from 0.25mm² to 35mm² on the van. Wouldn't be without them now.

Haven't yet had the need to ferrule anything over 6mm².

TBH, don't really use a lot of flex, mostly singles, SWA or T+E.

Wouldn't mind the Knipex ferrule crimper, but don't get paid enough for that!

The Knipex crimpers are quite good, a work mate has them. The square shape isn't suitable for all applications though. Weidmuller do some fantastic crimpers, but the prices start at around £250 last time I looked. :(

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back