stranded wire

I crimp multi-strand when the terminal is a screw that rotates as it is tightened down onto the conductor. Too often a few strands get cut by the rotating screw, or they move sideways from under the screw and the screw then does not put any pressure on them. Some 13 amp plugs especially.

Partex CEFT 1 is very good economically priced crimper for bootlace ferrules

https://www.rapidonline.com/partex-ceft1-bootlace-ferrule-crimping-tool-85-0275

Sponsored Links
The Knipex crimpers are quite good, a work mate has them. The square shape isn't suitable for all applications though. Weidmuller do some fantastic crimpers, but the prices start at around £250 last time I looked. :(

I am the owner of a Weidmuller crimper, and best of all, it was bought for me.

They are a lovely tool, if you like that sort of thing....I do.

1mm² would have been more than adequate - probably not designed for 2 x 1.5.

Use twin and earth next time.

How flexible is required to go round a loft?

You should not solder the ends.

the flexibility was connecting up the 5 downlighters, they were spaced at 530mm and i dropped the wiring down the holes in the ceiling to connect them and then push them up in place...i found the flexibility an advantage...and i had to negotiate some roof structural timbers on the way

next time though!! defo t+e and if you say its ok...1.0mm

i have another row to do pending lighting requirements in the room

cheers and thanks
geof

Sponsored Links
As TTC says dont twist them it can sometimes make them worse, if anything twist the two together rather than singulary, I tend to strip them longer, lightly twist by hand then snip to length

yes i found twisting them together was the pain...so i twisted them singly and inserted them one by one...that is when the second one started to fray
so i held the two separate but touching and managed to get them in ...all the wiring connections were done in the room so i dont know how i would have fared trying that way up to the elbows in insulation and kneeling on a hard board
cheers
geof

Oh, just realised i have 20 total, 7 downlights, 3 twin wall lights, 2 single wall lights, a 5 light chandelier and a 3 light fan all in one room, though in my defence theres 8 lightswitches

And you are in Essex.

Up here we have one 15-watt pygmy in the lounge, a candle in the privy, and don't use either of them on the Sabbath.

aye an ah bet ye hae a few bawbees salted away...in the cludge..:D

I do quite like ferrules for flex. Use them a lot with heating S/Y-Plans as those wiring centres can get a bit full.
Not really something to bother with for the odd bit of DIY.
I hate downlights wired in flex, ugh

think i should have taken the twin and earth route...would 1.0 be ok

I hate downlights wired in flex, ugh
Even when using this sort of thing:

TLCT100C.JPG

?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back