stranded wire

Yes and no. Your crimper will likely be for red/yellow/blue insulated crimp terminals. A ferrule crimper has slightly different sized and shaped jaws on it. And some crimp from 4 sides for a better termination.

You might find you're able to crimp them to a certain degree with a standard set of crimpers, but it will be far from a neat job, and may not even be that tight.

If you don't do that much, you're better off sticking to folding back your flex on itself to double the amount of copper in the terminal.

roger that and thanks

And likely one of the squeeze'n'hope type like this

FS-047-crimping-tool.jpg

not a proper ratchet one like this

DVDHCR15.JPG

you got it big-yin

Yea, could be, but I thought seeing the picture of the ferrule crimper might have jogged his memory - the first type looks nothing like the same tool (well, it isn't!)

thanks chaps...no the tool i have is a swine to use and bends sideways..but it did the job for the car cd wiring...could have used pliers i think and saved £8.40
lesson learned
lighting job done anyway and i dont think any more diy jobs would justify the correct tool for 240v crimps, just a mains light in the loft...

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
You can get ferrules for two cables, but doesn't seem like you really need them

you are right..its all a bit academic now but of interest to me learning here as i go along...there might be a next time although the lighting in the loft will be 1.0 T&E. and i think T&E will be my first choice in future for any job i might get to doing..
i used to think it was just for ring mains and high amperage applications..and had to look like the wiring from the old days....the grey sheathing that is...although there is some in white done by electrical contractor in my house in the past before i bought it...well it looks white, its for the power supply to the led downlighters transformers, in the bathroom...a 12v system
thanks again and cheers
geof

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back