strange fishy smell

Sponsored Links
Dad says probably mold or snakes!!!!!! I am completely freaked out. Anybody know how to kill mold or get snakes to leave?

house-fire.jpg

No electrical item is going to smell for six years, the material would wear away.

If it comes back in summer when the ground is drier then it's linked to something drying out that is wet in winter. Is the house built on an old tip? Was it once industrial site and selenium contaminated the land?

Sponsored Links
No electrical item is going to smell for six years, the material would wear away.

Only been smelling for about four years she intimated. Then only in the summer, so really could be electrical.

That said, I am thinking paint. Not mould or snakes.

No. Previously undevleoped land in a rural area. Crawlspace has always been kept closed. Shouldn't be anything under there.

Go under and have a look. If the smell is under the house in the ground then it's a naturally occurring chemical and you can't do anything about that..

Yep I'm with Col and John on this. Get ya fatha (your father), to check lightbulb sockets, mains socket etc. You'll probably find it's the source of your fishy problem... unless as col says..... no better not go there! :p

Can't be. The smell you smell are particles from the plastic - but it runs out and turns to charcoal. When the particles have all gone ( aromatic hydrocarbons) then the smell goes too. Just like a room deodorant. It's schoolboy chemistry. :rolleyes:

Joe, any other time I would agree with you 100% but about 9 years ago we lived in a house and experienced the same issue for years and years. To be fair I was only at home now and again so I wasn't that bothered/interested. When I stopped working away and spent more time at home it really did get to me. I decided to investigate one evening and that's when I discovered this similar smell to the OP was coming from a Light bulb fitting.

I must admit, I never believed the wife either or was that interested in investigating the source until I actually spent any time at home.

Sorry but it can't happen. Once the chemicals have evaporated the source becomes inert.

Sponsored Links
Back