Strange Smell

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have lived in my house for over 20 yrs, over the past 3 or so a smell has developed. It is intermitant, no set pattern to it. It smells like cabbage and is worse on one side of my house. It seems to be worst under the bath and in my small bedroom.

Help

Sponsored Links
I have lived in my house for over 20 yrs, over the past 3 or so a smell has developed. It is intermitant, no set pattern to it. It smells like cabbage and is worse on one side of my house. It seems to be worst under the bath and in my small bedroom.

Help

Take the bath panel off and have a look at the floor underneath. Unless of course your bath is on a concrete floor on the ground floor. Is the small bedroom next to the bathroom?

mypic_1270143990.jpg

Help

One of the waste pipes must have a small leak or backing up so how

Thanks for the replies, i have been under the bath and cant see a leak. I had a bath put in (second user) and its crap, so mabye the waste is causing some prob. My small bedroom is not next to the bathroom but i suppose it could be travelling along the rafters which run in that direction. Thank you very much for the help people, i was begining to get paranoid, thinking i was the only one who could smell it, blaming the neighbours ect. I will update if i find any thing. If the waste was set wrong, i.e. to high, would it allow the smell to come as the trap would be letting air back? If so, why so intermittent?

Sponsored Links
Have you looked closely at the floorboards, are they wet/rotten/have growth on them?

Floorboards not damp/got growth on them.

Not fishy, more rotten veg.

Could well be 3 yrs but cant remember. Because i dont get it all the time (sometimes there is no smell for weeks).

I think writing this has focused my mind, if i recall, the waste my original bath had was a metal screw on type and the pipe is metal. Had to be cut then plastic waste put on. I am wondering if the bath is flexing sometimes and mabye disturbing the plastic to metal on the waste. Time to get my silicon out, see if that gets rid of it.

dip the trap with a wood pencil or coffee stirrer :idea: see if the water level has got sucked out / evaporated

When I moved in to my first house the light fittings were thick with dirt, sticky almost. When you turned on a light, the light fitting warmed up and a smell appeared, kind of cabbagey. Took me months and months to realise what it was. Cleaned up the light fitting and 'hey presto' no cabbage.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back