Strange socket in kitchen

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

New to here and certainly no DIY expert.
My question is we have what I call a strange power socket in the kitchen that is used to plug our washing machine into. When I say strange it's because the lead from the washing machine is fitted into the socket (ie plug taken off). Not come across this before. A family friend connecting the washing machine a while back but our machine is now playing up and is likely to be needed to be replaced.
Questions - is this a strange socket and is it safe?
Should I change to a conventional power socket?

Hope my post makes sense! :oops:

Sponsored Links
We have a fused switch like that above the work surface but below we have a point/socket below the work surface with just a hole for the lead to be fed through then connected.

That will be a flex outlet cotrolled by the fused switch above. I'm not keen because they confuse people and cannot be easily unplugged when you want to move the appliance.

You can change it for a single UNSWITCHED socket if you want, and use a plug.

the one disadvantage is that the fuse might blow and you will have to pull out the appliance to get at it. you also have two fuses, which is one more than the ideal number.

However in my experience appliance fuses blow approximately never, and when they do the appliance is faulty so it has to come out anyway.

There is lots more discussion about favourite ways to connect undercounter appliances.

Sponsored Links
might have a hole for the flex in the middle. just visible in this one. they are handy for extractor hoods.

p3130417_l.jpg

Or is it that omeone has cut off the plug to the washing machine, took the faceplate of a 1 gang socket off, connected the flex of the washing machine into the terminals with the conductors/earth. Then put the face plate back up leaving a socket with cable hanging out the sides ?

Thanks guys and by the sounds of it it's not as strange as I thought.
We actually need to replace our washing machine so tempted to revert to a "normal " socket as easier in the future.
Is connecting and disconnecting an appliance from my "strange" socket easy, I guess it is self expanatory where you connect the wires :oops: ?
We are having some new sockets fitted in the house next week by a qualified electrician ( I am too much of a whimp to so it) next week so will ask him to check it over.

We are having some new sockets fitted in the house next week by a qualified electrician ( I am too much of a whimp to so it) next week so will ask him to check it over.

Why not ask him to do it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back