Strimmer spool issue

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have a MacGregor strimmer.

I have a recurring issue where it will work for about 1 min and eventually the line unravels.

I suspect I am not installing it correctly.

Here’s how I install it. The line fed into those notches like so

IMG_3290.jpeg

I put the line through the holes in the strimmer, place the cap on and cut lines to size.

This appears to be the correct method but after a very small amount of use it does this very abruptly.

IMG_3289.jpeg

I removed the cap - it doesn’t come off, the line unravels.

It appears the line comes out of those notches every time but they are definately in place when it goes in.

Any ideas what I’m getting wrong here?

Thank you

Sponsored Links
So, I read that the line should be out the notches.

Did that. The spool immediately unravels as soon as I turn it on.

So I wonder whether the spool is wound the wrong way for my strummer. So I rewound it the other way. Worked for about 2 mins and then completely unwound and the line came completely out.

Can I conclude this strimmer is a cheap piece of junk that won’t work whichever thing I try? The sad fact is it worked fine before with the original line.

Pulling my hair out here

Sponsored Links
When you take the spool out, can you see a little pawl?
As your line is blue, that means it's 1.5mm, which I think should be the right size for your machine.

Right, issue is the gear is knackered. It’s broken basically.

Can anyone recommend a good brand? Electric corded is fine as it’s light work at home.

This McGregor one lasted 2 summers. It was only £40 I think

What gear is broken?
I phoned up the support line for the strimmer and explained the fault

He said it was probs due to after market spools being used not recommended

He said the gear on the spool doesn’t fit the gear in the strimmer head.

I checked the strimmer and there are 2 triangular notches which hold the spool in.

Both have large chips in them and he said a repair isn’t possible.

I doubt they will lock in with anything as they are both badly chipped, you can see about half their mass has been chipped away.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back