structural engineer question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
From structural engineer’s BM calcs he derives that I required for roof rafters = 12.65x10^6 mm^4.

He then says I of a 50x150 rafter = 14.06x10^6 mm^4 and to use that. I can agree with that for a 50x150 cross section but the normal dims of a 50x150 rafter is around 44x145 which gives an I of 11.18x10^6 mm^4- less than the 12.65 desired :confused: (No longer in touch with the engineer)

Sponsored Links
It will translate into about 1mm or so greater deflection. Nothing to worry about. Regularised is 47x147 btw

thanks Shytalkz - cool :D i'm guessing structural engineers might often work to the non regularised sizes

Correct.

You do get the odd uber-zealous checking engineer who seems to think that it makes an appreciable difference. Considering that the overall factors of safety on timber are somewhere approaching 10, it's a bit of a misnomer and I find a robust argument along the lines of suggesting taking their head out of their arse normally puts it to bed.

Have you fallen out with your ginger beer?

Sponsored Links
You don't mention rafter spacings nor the timber grade, which will make a difference to the roof as a whole.

Also, IIRC, you are having roof lights with double rafters, which means fewer actual single rafers, and the roof is relatively small in any case

You've lost me now - and I was wondering where you were going with and to whom your previous post was directed... :confused:

It was to the OP. Do keep up ... probably and age thing :LOL:

Surely the engineer did not just work out timber section size without this in context of the roof as a whole, the grade or particular circumstances of the roof?

Well, probably :rolleyes:

Well, Woodster, my ol' chuck-butty, seeing as I is a function of E which is a function of the timber stress grade, and that I is also a function of the span and load which is a function of the covering amongst other things, then I reckon that the SE might just have taken all those things into account... ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back