Struggling with a tap - PICS

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
This is a bit embarrasing being a plumber myself, but this one really has defeated me!

Our bath / shower mixer tap has been dripping on the hot side.

Managed to remove the inards from the tap body, but can't seem to remove the handle from the valve part inside.

I know on usual taps you just flick the blue or red plastic cap off and there is a screw, but the plastic cap won't come off and just chipped when I tried it.

However there was a grub screw as you can see the hole on the pics, I removed it but it still won't come off. I've tried prizing, hammering, twisting but still nothing!

Thing is the nut that is holding the washer on won't undo because the whole thread just spins, so I'm guessing there is a bit at the top of the spindle to hold the thread whilst you undo the nut!

Had it soaked in WD40 for hours but still nothing! Help!!

Sorry for bad quality images only have my phone.

View media item 43592
View media item 43593
View media item 43594

Sponsored Links
Dont' be a tight ar$e, a set of Bristan tap revivers with heads is only about £12

I wasn't even going to renew the washer, I was just going to turn it around seems as a new set of taps are on the agenda but wanted to stop the dripping for now!

A set of tap revivers are a good idea though!

Still be interested to know how to remove the head from the spindle though!

Thanks..

This is why I don't have anything to do with customers
that want to repair taps.

New tap or not interesting.

Haven't got hours and hours to mess with them.

Sponsored Links
I wasn't even going to renew the washer, I was just going to turn it around seems as a new set of taps are on the agenda but wanted to stop the dripping for now!

Thanks..

once you have fitted the tap revivers, break the coloured disc out and undo the phillips screw

Thanks..

once you have fitted the tap revivers, break the coloured disc out and undo the phillips screw

I know on usual taps you just flick the blue or red plastic cap off and there is a screw, but the plastic cap won't come off and just chipped when I tried it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back