Stuck toilet cistern lid Ideal Std Studio

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
This should be easy, I hope! Ideal Standard Studio close couple toilet with dual flush. I'm having a prob getting the cistern lid off. Outer chrome ring around the twin flush buttons will lift up about half an inch or so, and twist slightly either way, but no further. I don't want to force it as I don't know how it releases. Any advice please?

Thanks in advance, as always to the helpful people on this board.

Sponsored Links
Think you might find you have to pull out the flush buttons first to get to the screw underneath. Push one of the buttons down so you can get a screwdriver under the other button and pop it out. Then do the same with the other and you should see the screw .

Their 'Alto' model is like this so am assuming yours is the same.

Sounds about right.

Why do you need it off, having trouble with drop valve? Why am I surprised? NOT!

BRING BACK THE SYPHON!

Sponsored Links
Thanks Steady & Paul. Glad I asked. I never would have figured it out without brute force first.

Reason for opening it is so Mrs fiveminutejob can drop one of those blue toilet freshener thingies into cistern.

Your help is appreciated. Thanks very much.

fiveminutejob said:
Reason for opening it is so Mrs fiveminutejob can drop one of those blue toilet freshener thingies into cistern.
Why use a blue thingy? Some concentrated hydochloric acid poured into the cistern will destroy all the seals much more quickly. :rolleyes:

Steady's advice was spot on - just prised out the two buttons to reveal the plastic screw.

NOW, all I need is some advice re blue stuff in view of comment from Softus. Mrs fmj has bought some Jeyes Bloo Max in a wrapper to drop in cistern. The packet says it's safe - foams, cleans, freshens, prevents limescale - although it can seriously damage your eyes and is irritating to skin. (We tend not to use the toilet water for washing ourselves, so shouldn't be a prob!).

But does that stuff really damage seals inside cistern?

A few questions...

1. Why would you want a bowl full of a chemical skin irritatant to be only a few inches underneath your exposed anal orifice?

2. Have you asked the WC siphon manufacturer whether or not their parts can withstand a blue skin irritant and fast-acting blinding agent?

3. Does the blue thingy manufacturer undertake to replace any cistern part that is damaged by its product, including the labour charge for repairs?

4. Who will you engage to maintain the cistern when the parts wear out (whether or not their life is foreshortened by blueness), given that everything will be coated with a blue skin irritant, and will you indemnify that person against skin damage, eye damage, and any and all consequential loss?

5. If the cistern leaks, will everything in the path of the marauding blue water be resistant to its claimed 'safeness'.

I could go on, but I think you'll get the drift from the above.

Softus said:
1. Why would you want a bowl full of a chemical skin irritatant to be only a few inches underneath your exposed anal orifice?

Yes, do what Softus does - drink from the tap...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back