Sudden loss of electricity in plug sockets downstairs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm after some advice please. Yesterda morning my electric suddenly went off - after realising that it wasn't a power cut or the trip switch I called a local electrician. He noticed straight away that there was a problem with the trip switch as it wasn't staying up but he did something with the wires and fixed that. Then he said it was a problem with one of my 5 double plug sockets downstairs as I had electricity running upstairs. He said it was going to be a lengthy job and he wasn't even to be begin thinking about starting it until Monday morning. When he started talking about the possibility of pulling up flooboards and stuff I must admit I stopped listening as by this time I'm thinking how much is this going to cost me the week before christmas. At the moment I have my fridge freezer and tv equipment plugged in via a 10 foot extension cable running from a socket upstairs through my kitchen and living room. What I'm really wanting to know is should I have a second opinion or is he likely to be correct? I don't want to be ripped off and I don't have a clue about anything to do with electrics.

Many thanks for your advice in advance.

Nicola

Sponsored Links
Initial thoughts are the item which was tripping is an RCD? He has identified a socket circuit with a fault on it and disconnected it allowing the RCD to be reset to restore power to the other circuits. Now all there is to do is fix the circuit with a fault on. Wouldn't like to say how much it will cost - it varies owing to the size of the job, how long it takes to identify and the remedial work required.

Who can tell how long a job it's going to be?

One thing though, with a few quick tests, many causes can be eliminated. If the problem is under the floor, then there's no two ways about it - floorboards will be coming up.

Some problems take searching for, others are dead easy. If you feel comfortable with your electrician and he is making sense, then fine. Otherwise you could consider a second opinion. It's up to your sparky to decide what the likely problems could be and to be able to explain to you clearly the implications.

Sponsored Links
what's an RCD?
It's a Residual Current Device - it checks earth faults. Probably what you describe as a 'trip switch' (as opposed to a fuse or 'breaker' which check overcurrent faults).

What I should have mentioned earlier, I was wondering whether he should have actually checked the sockets themselves - he didn't leave the cupboard where the fuse box is except for to ask me to unplug everything and switch them off. Sorry but I am a woman and these things just go over my head :D

If you look at your consumer unit an RCD is a unit is identifiable as it has a Test button. It may be labelled up as an RCD or an RCCB. It works just like one of those "Powerbreaker" adaptors which you plug in for a lawn mower.

What I should have mentioned earlier, I was wondering whether he should have actually checked the sockets themselves - he didn't leave the cupboard where the fuse box is except for to ask me to unplug everything and switch them off. Sorry but I am a woman and these things just go over my head :D

He was maybe just trying to do you a favour by getting you some sockets back on as he had another job to go to.

He was probably trying to confirm whether it was a fault with your appliances or a fault with your circuit. Sounds like he decided it was the circuit itself. With a ring circuit, you need to start dismantling sockets to work out between which sockets the fault lies. This is maybe something he didn't want to start until Monday. It shouldn't take long though to find the possible cause. Correcting it is a different matter.

you can help yourself by looking at every socket, see if you can see signs of damage (cracking) or overheating (brown or black marks) or marks on the plugs or flexible cords.

start by looking where the large appliances such as washing machine, tumble-drier and dishwasher plug in, and cooking or heating appliances, since these use heavy loads.

also try to think of any recent work involving nails or screws going into walls or floors where cables might run.

if you have any signs of rodents they might have gnawed the cables under the floor.

if you have children consider if they might have poked anything into an electrical socket.

looking on the bright side, cables very rarely go wrong, as once laid they just stay in position untouched. However if anyone has made a poor-quality alteration under the floor, or it has been nailed or gnawed, it will have to come up.

the time you spend looking might save you money, as the electrician will have to do it unless you manage to spot the problem area first.

BTW if you get an "Emergency Call-Out Electrician" from the Yellow Pages he is likely to be more expensive than a local firm recommended by friends and neighbours. It is always worth asking an electrician (before giving him the job) if he is a member of a Self-Certification Scheme, and which one, and what name he is registered under (you will then be able to check it). If he is, he won't mind being asked. If he gets all huffy, consider what sort of Taxi Driver would get awkward if you asked whether he was licenced.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back