Sun-tubes - any experience ?

Reaction score
Country
France
I would like to use a sun-tube to brighten a very dark hallway. My problem is that the sites I have looked at all show the collector on the roof.

Since my roof has 30 cm of snow for 4 months of the year, this would be a poor solution. Optimal for me would be to have it vertically on a west-facing wall.

Obviously i will get in touch with manufacturers, but would like to hear of any actual experience or comments first.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
They're OK, will still need a light on during the day for an all internal room though on all but the brightest of days. Depends on the size though of course. I'd only bother in a room with no other windows though as a source of natural light.

we`ve got a velux one ( on a roof) and it just looks like a velux window -so it wouldn`t look out of place on a wall, maybe :idea:

Sponsored Links
Thanks both.

If the added illumination is not so great, then maybe it is not worth while because I guess that having the unit vertical will shade maybe 30% of the collector area and added to that I have a one metre roof-overhang so further downgrading the amount of light available.

Also occured to me that it means a 30 (or more ) cm hole in the wall which will be completely un-insulated so perhaps the best is to plan for a good array of LED's for 16 hours per day !

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back