Sunbed- lie down double canopy

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can i first start by saying what a great site,spent hours reading threds and learning new things....great site. :)

anyway,my problem....my wife has a lie down double canopy,she tops up now and then to keep her tan,anyhoo.....as the bottom of the sunbed is the same shape of a pipe ( curved so the tan is more of a all over tan,like you are lieing in a tube of light-hope i explained that right?) if i go on i get a pool of sweat beneath me...i know....nice!
wellas i said a pool of sweat....now this has been known to run to the end of thesunbed with the fans etc....so i place a towel there so as not to drip sweat on the contact's of the sunbed tube holders and the tubes...

my wife...god bless her,decided to give it a good clean and sprayed christ knows what all over the place...anyway the connector's that the tube's go into now spark....smoke...sometimes bang and then blow the fuse....over and over again...

i have had it apart and can not for the life of me find anything to clean or wipe off so how do i stop this happening...

LONG AND SHORT:-

some kind of liquid? on the tube/sunbed buld holder connecter's is causeing them to spark...bang...smoke and blow fuses

any help would be most welcome....

thanks for takingtime to read my ramble....top site....glad i found it.

cheers lee.

Sponsored Links
leepylee said:
my wife has a lie down double canopy,she tops up now and then to keep her tan
Can she say "malignant melanoma"?

i have had it apart and can not for the life of me find anything to clean or wipe off so how do i stop this happening...
Take it to the dump.

Or if you are both determined to carry on risking your lives in order to make your skin an unnatural colour, call a service technician.

ban-all-sheds said:
leepylee said:
my wife has a lie down double canopy,she tops up now and then to keep her tan
Can she say "malignant melanoma"?

Take it to the dump.

Or if you are both determined to carry on risking your lives in order to make your skin an unnatural colour, call a service technician.
you having a bad day ban? :LOL:

Not really.

The advice to them to give up deliberately exposing their skin to damaging cancer-causing radiation was well meant.

And if he's dismantled the thing, and with it exposed in front of him can't see where the problem lies, how is anybody else going to divine what to do?

Sponsored Links
for starters ban-all-shed....if my wife chooses to go on a sunbed now and then,then that's her choice..so go preach somplace else over cancer-causing radiation .Your two cents on the risk's of skin cancer was not asked for if im correct? and me notseeing the problem in front of me?....

what part of the thred did you not fully understand?

let me say again....the contacts where the tube go's into the bulb holder/baynet or whatever some childish person like yourself wish to call it sparks when it starts up...

did you understand?

i asked for any helpfull info on how to clean etc,or which part needs to be clean and residue free....

this site did seem the answer to my prayers when i found it,lot's of handy info on all sort's of jobs.....

yet on my first reply i get some childish rude witless smart ass who for some reason thinks it's a good way to welcome new member's whatever there level of skill in the job's they are "ASKING FOR HELP" in,as im sure that's the idea of the forum is it not? I do not know what type of job you have SHED,maybe your a top class spark and know about these things where someone like me is not to clue'd up on electric connections but i would like to thank you for your kind thou8ght's and witty remark's you made at the new guy's expense...

im from manchester SHED.....unsure if you ever get up there but please if you do...come visit me at TIGER TIGER. I'll get you V.I.P. entrance and a bottle of sparkly,my guest,just ask for the head doorman who's not to sharp with electric and love's it when little sad people wind him up...make's my day....

oh,and that's me being sarky! just incase you missed it in the post somewhere like you did my question before...

Calm down lads, all of you.
Leepy, welcome to the forum, all newcomers are more than welcome.

Many of us who reply to DIYers like yourself are well qualified and experienced electricians, who do go the extra mile to give good advice. Hence I'm here typing on my lunchbreak.
Getting moisture into the end caps shouldn't cause a long term problem as long as it is thoroughly dried out before you put any voltage back into it. Maybe get a hairdryer on it. The problem could come from the product that your wife sprayed into it, if it dries to form a treacley goo :confused: as some of the 'gel' based products may do, then you'll have a coating in the end caps that could conduct and hence cause a short circuit.
Without any pictures it's a bit difficult, but something like a sunbed, where you're lying (possibly) naked, has an increased risk of shock.
I have no experience of maintaining sunbeds, but suspect the lamp end-caps are standard ones similar to most other fluorescent lights.
Does anyone know differently?
Your best bet is either get a service engineer to make a call - could be expensive - or thoroughly dry out the end caps, replace the fuse and try again. From once the lamps strike and light up, leave them on for a while so the heat can then help to completely dry up any remaining moisture.
It's your call, but be careful whichever way you play it.
Good luck.

teachergeezer said:
Without any pictures it's a bit difficult, but something like a sunbed, where you're lying (possibly) naked, has an increased risk of shock.
the best reason to use an RCD, make sure this thing is protected by an RCD next time you are using it, especially after this incident.

You can always change the end caps. You can get replacements at any wholesaler and with the power OFF they are very easy to fit.

If you got to an aquatic shop, they sell sealed end caps which are used above fish tanks, this will alow your other 1/2 to clean till her hearts content ;)

Ditto the RCD

:p

Thankyou one and all,well everyone but the fool....anyway,thats all i need to know,hairdryer and replace end caps...i'll try myself before calling someone in....

thanks for taking the time to write up a response,veryy ind of you all..

hope to be able to help you out someday......i do know alot about the law,both sides if any of you need anything...hehe he he

cheer's guys

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back