Supplementary Bonding Bathroom

Sponsored Links
Supplementary bonding is done local to the bathroom, that is the whole point of it. There is no need (albeit not forbidden) to connect it back to the consumer unit, it will no doubt have some connection to the CU via circuit protective conductors but that is just incidental. The idea is to have a faraday cage in the room so no dangerous potential can occur between exposed/extraneous conductive parts in the event of a fault, and body resistance is lower owing to wet skin.
Nowadays this requirement has been relaxed where any extraneous conductive parts are effectively bonded to the MET and all circuits in the location are 30mA RCD'd.

I know it is 5 years since this thread was last replied to, but I just had an alert from it and wanted to add something for the benefit of future readers of the thread.

There are two reasons why I said what I said.

1 I was taught that best practice dictates a continuous unbroken run of cable to a gas, water or oil pipe etc....
If you connect (for example) gas and water pipes to the same cable, then you must connect the first without breaking the cable. This is so that if the connection came loose, you would still have a solid connection to the second. In fairness to the OP, there's nothing to say that the cold pipe wasn't the first to be connected to.

The other thing I was taught as best practice was not to connect supplementary back to the MET, mainly because it would be a waste of cable.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the update, but I'm more intrigued by this:
The idea is to have a faraday cage in the room
gettyimages-1287908023-612x612.jpg
;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back