Supply electricity to a shed.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi There,

Want to supply some electricity to a shed the other end of the garden (around 30m away from the house).

It wont be used for real current drawing applications, just lighting power drills e.t.c

Now what i have in mind is to stick a 20amp MCB on the switchboard and run armoured cable from there down the garden into the shed.

Then fuse each individual socket.. like this.. http://www.laine.ndo.co.uk/sh.jpg ( ignore the earth pole the armour would be grounded at the switchboard in the house )

Have i got the right idea? The only bit i am not that competent on is fitting the MCB on the switchboard (there is one space left filled by a blanker)

pics of switchboard ( http://www.laine.ndo.co.uk/switch.jpg & http://www.laine.ndo.co.uk/supply.jpg

Dont really want to get a spark to do it because i am sure he will charge huge rates.

Cheers,

Laine[/url]

Sponsored Links
I would put a seperate fuse board in the shed, and wire one circuit for all the sockets on a 16 or 20amp, and a seperate circuit for the lights on a 6amp.

Cable to the shed would be better on a 32amp trip, and would have to be atleast 6mm, though 10mm would give a lower volt drop.

Take a look at h t t p : / / n o ** v o s e** r v e . n o - i p . b **i z

Ignore the ***'s

Lectrician said:
h t t p : / / n o ** v o s e** r v e . n o - i p . b **i z

Ignore the ***'s

Lectrician, you do not have to put asteriscs in an email address,

i get either page unavalable or a blank page

h t t p : / / n o v o s e r v e . n o - i p . b i z

Someone told me they edited this link all the time :)

That address works fine.

Sponsored Links
1) Do a search here for shed, garage, outbuilding, outhouse, outside etc

2) You'll struggle to terminate SWA inside that CU, particuarly if you do as you should and use 10mm

3) There are a number of requirements concerning the burying of cables - make sure you understand them all

4) You say ignore the earth pole - I can't see the incoming service clearly enough - do you have a PME supply?

5) If you judge yourself to be incompetent to fit an MCB, then you MUSTget an electrician in.

Lectrician said:
Someone told me they edited this link all the time :)

That address works fine.

I get a blank page, any one else get it?

Works for me too, but I get this massage:

This page is new to Nov*Serve, its still being designed and built.
in the mean time why not check out our very popular forum? Its free!

Err - yes....

Novoservelinks.png

And do you then try doing what it says, and clicking on that link on the top left?

I'm a simple soul- someone asked if I got a blank page on that link - I did not.........

Ok i have done my homework, had a look round the web and re done my plan.

I had a look in my home consumer unit all looks dandy, easy to fit a 20amp MCB.

From there i will run a 6mm SWA 3 core cable underground around 40 metres to the shed. This will then be terminated by a smaller consumer unit for ease.

This has a 100A master switch because (www.tlc-direct.co.uk) does not do smaller :p.

From there i will have 2 mcb's one for the lights one for the sockets. with adequately rated cable.

Each socket will be fused at 3A. Does this plan sound ok? I am very confident on how to do this now.

plan.jpg

your sockets are not shown wired in a ring, and 10A mcb is a bit small.

and why have you got "3 amp fuse box" for each socket?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back