Support for table drop leaves?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Having made a breakfast bar i want to add a flap of the same plank either side to make a decent table width. Does anyone know where i can source brackets (collapsible) to support these in the UK? Failing that, i had been considering making some sort of outswinging triangle supports.. but i'd be concerned about not getting the squeeze i want for a firm flat opened surface, and friction damaging the wood would be an issue. Probably there are some sort of spring-loaded roller/plate kits i might use there..?

Sponsored Links
You can get folding flap stays here, for example.

If you make your own supports, you could make the fixings adjustable; for example by using short slots instead of holes for the fixing screws, and fixing with roundhead screws with washers underneath.

Thanks for the link, but none of those really seem suitable. Those you've indicated are just the sort of thing, but too large.. i've seen smaller and lighter (i don't need them to bear 50+kg's) but only from american sites. As for making my own.. good diea with the slots, but if i make a simple folding strut i can get the squeeze i need by adjusting the final position i fix it at.. i.e. fix it a bit tighter/higher than a straight position. Any idea where i could get some sort of anchor though for attaching the timbers then to the wall and underside of flap? I was thinking to just shape some bits of 2x1 for the struts.

To attach timbers to the wall, use wall plugs and screws, or frame fixings.

As far as the load is concerned, don't forget that you need to allow for: the weight of the flap; the weight of anything you might put on the flap; the load imposed if someone leans on it, or tries to grab it to prevent themselves falling.

Sponsored Links
Good point.. but as for the attachments.. they'll be pivoting at each end, so i need some sort of eye/anchor i can fix to the wall/underside of shelf and bolt the timbers to.. so the strut can bend in the middle and fold away when the leaf is lowered. Any idea's where i can get such a fixing, of what it would be called?

It sounds as if you need hinges, if what you are trying to achieve is to make struts which fold.

It would probably help if you could provide a drawing of what you are hoping to make.

There is still the option of a couple of 45deg triangles i could have swinging under the ledge, and swinging out for support when needed. As you can see theres quite a lip to tuck them into.. but i'm not sure what my options would be fittingwise to have a non damaging contact where they scrape under the flap on use...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back