supporting the weight of a cistern

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
This probably sounds very stupid, but what is the best way to to attach a cistern to a bathroom wall?

I have a ceramic cistern as part of a "low level wc" that needs to be fully supported through the wall fixings. It has two holes for screws - but none supplied....what size screws would be appropriate?

And/or are there available brackets that would be better suited for the job?

(the wall is the external brick wall)

all answers very much appreciated...

Jim (novice diyer)

Sponsored Links
1. Please dont apologise, there are no stupid questions.
2. Perhaps this should have been posted in the plumbing forum.
3. Does your cistern stand-off the wall? I assume that the WC has not yet been plumbed-in?
4. If you are tight to the wall, say with a few mm gap, then mark the wall thro the holes.
5. Drill thro the tile/plaster into the brickwork. Use a carbide/tungsten tipped drill bit.
6. Insert a plastic plug into the drilled hole.
7. Use brass or SS screws, say 1 1/2" or 1 3/4" no. 8
8. You can cushion the screw head by using a rubber washer or a screw cup.This protects the pot.
9. If your wc is plumbed-in, and your cistern stands off the wall, then come back here.
10. Some fix cisterns with silicone or similar, but i'd avoid doing that if possible.

Thanks for the prompt reply!

wc has not been plumbed in yet and i was assuming that the cistern would be tight to the wall (out of curiosity, when would this not be the case?)

Retro-fixing a wc.
Replacing with a different model.

Sponsored Links
I use large wall plug cut down pushed thru the holes to line them and prevent screw damaging the cistern, tighten by hand as a power screwdriver can crack the porcelain if you are not careful.

l/l cisterns ( with a short flush pipe) have a pair of L brackets to take the weight - the holes in the ceramic are to hold it back to the wall ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back