Switch fuse - Minimum fuse rating

If it isn't a flush one it would be trivial to put your own enclosure next to it, just have a Henley in the meter cabinet (I'm sure they won't mind that), and take an extra set of tails into your enclosure where you can have whatever you like.

Sponsored Links
Wouldn't have to be quite that small...
Indeed not (even the 'tails' would have been electrically acceptable, and reg-compliant) - but, as I said, the regs (BS7671) do not require the incoming cable to be any larger in CSA than can be protected by the nearby downstream fuse.
Anyway - apologies for any confusion - I thought Andy was concerned about not being able to get tails into the switch. Which he can't, if they are more than 10mm², but a 32A switch (which will fit a standard 1G box) will take 10mm² conductors, and give that everything would be contained within the meter cabinet, I don't see a problem with using that size.
All true - but, apart from the issue about more satisfactory termination into a Henley, would there be any point in using 10mm² ? (I suppose one thing which occurs is that it would probably be difficult/impossible to find DI 1.5²/2.5mm² singles and, although I'm sure we've all seen it done (and maybe 'done it'!) many times, it's quite/very difficult to find a strictly compliant way to connect T+E to a Henley. I suppose one could use just one core in each of two T+Es!)

Kind Regards, John

meter cab is flush and next to the front door

Even if I wanted 2, it would annoy the meter man lol

meter cab is flush
How did you plan to get the SWA out?

Even if I wanted 2, it would annoy the meter man lol
I didn't mean use a second meter cabinet, I meant this sort of thing:

42271076.jpg

You could also put a socket in there, if one might be useful for a pressure washer/vacuum cleaner/xmas lighting/etc.

Although it being by the front door might be visually unacceptable.

Sponsored Links
There is an external oval conduit which the supply comes in via.

I could annoy the DNO and use this or install my own conduit or just have the SWA

The enclosure is buried in the wall. Every single surface apart from the door is inaccessible.

The meter cabinet, the one you want the SWA to exit, is buried in the wall. Every single surface apart from the door is inaccessible.

Humm ok. It sticks out a bit further than I remembered (although most of it is in the wall). Buts its not like a bolted on (e.g GAS) one either.

Humm ok. It sticks out a bit further than I remembered (although most of it is in the wall). Buts its not like a bolted on (e.g GAS) one either.
True - but I the point (which I think is what was confusing BAS) is that it does provide accessible bits of side (and, more to the point, bottom) walls through which cables can exit!

Kind Regards, John

There is an external oval conduit which the supply comes in via. I could annoy the DNO and use this or install my own conduit or just have the SWA
Yeah. I had already worked that out though ;)
I wasn't suggesting that you should use the DNO's conduit - apart from 'the obvious', it probably wouldn't get you to 'where you wanted to be', would it?

Kind Regards, John

I guess it depends whether the conduit stops at the ground (which I was assuming it did) and was just there to make things look tidy

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back