Table tennis table

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I want to make an outdoor table tennis table. I have a 7ft by 5ft trampoline that I was going to use as a base and just put the tt table on top.

I was thinking of using two pieces of painted 18mm WBP plywood joined in the middle with 3 loose pin hinges. I like the idea of being able to hinge one end up for solo play and being able to separate the it into two halves. Probably run 3 pieces of 50x50mm underneath for support.

Anyway, has the forum any experience of doing this or suggestions? In particular the use of plywood. Would any other sheet material be better?

Thanks Steve

Sponsored Links
ok several points
exterior ply must be fully protected if your going to leave it outside

would the trampoline give you the correct height for your table!!!

if you did hinge it into an "L"shape you would have to tie or weight it down to stop it tipping over as both halves will weigh the same

Thanks Big-all,

Yes, the height is ok, it's a kids trampoline. Good point about the balance issue, I might be able to clamp it to the frame.

I will bring it in over the winter and will put a tarp over it when not in use - this will protect it from the birds as well as the weather.

swalker said:
I will bring it in over the winter and will put a tarp over it when not in use - this will protect it from the birds as well as the weather.
Make sure it and the tarp are both dry when you do that. If it's wet or the tarp is you risk getting mildew.

Scrit

Sponsored Links
My old table tennis years ago was made of blockboard, I'm wondering is it to do with the ping pong ball bounce better because of the density of the wood :?:

I maybe talking a loads of rubbish here :LOL:

masona said:
My old table tennis years ago was made of blockboard, I'm wondering is it to do with the ping pong ball bounce better because of the density of the wood :?:

I maybe talking a loads of rubbish here :LOL:

No I dont think you are talking rubbish. I seem to remember DIY blockboard tt tables. Maybe they would be better but they would have to be well painted as I dont think that block board is waterresistant.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back